Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864a questions

Hi,

My daughter(full-time student with no income) is sponsoring me(E1 visa holder with US income) and my wife(E1-spouse visa with no income) for greencard.

I am filling i-864a and have questions below;

1) Do we need to submit two separate I-864a forms for myself and wife?

if so,

2) For Question Part 2, - Do I check on 1b(I am the intending immigrant and sponsor's household) for mine, and check on 1c & Parent for my wife's form?

3) Do we need to attach the same copies of my tax transcript for each forms?

Thank you
    Last edited by yukisetoy; 03-01-2018, 09:02 PM.

Originally posted by yukisetoy View Post
    Hi,

My daughter(full-time student with no income) is sponsoring me(E1 visa holder with US income) and my wife(E1-spouse visa with no income) for greencard.

I am filling i-864a and have questions below;

1) Do we need to submit two separate I-864a forms for myself and wife?

if so,

2) For Question Part 2, - Do I check on 1b(I am the intending immigrant and sponsor's household) for mine, and check on 1c & Parent for my wife's form?

3) Do we need to attach the same copies of my tax transcript for each forms?

Thank you
    For your daughter's I-864 for you, you are the intending immigrant, so your income can be counted in the sponsor's household income without you needing to file I-864A.

For your daughter's I-864 for your wife, you need to file I-864A to act as your daughter's "household member" in order to count your income in her household income. Note that, unless your daughter is claiming you as a dependent on her taxes, you must be living in the same residence as her in order for her to be able to count you as a "household member". You would check 1.c "I am not the intending immigrant. I am the sponsor's household member. I am related to the sponsor as his/her: " and choose "Parent".

You would attach the same proof of current income for both. You would need to attach a copy of your most recent year's tax return for the I-864A for your wife, but I don't think you would need to attach it for the other one (the one for yourself that you are not filing I-864A for).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you very much.

Now I understand that I do not need to file I-864a for myself, but how does it affect on I-864, Part 6. 16 & 17?

Currently on I-864 for me, I have checked on 16, and not on 17 with no name listed under.

Should I change to;

16. No check
      17. checked & list my name

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      For your daughter's I-864 for you, you are the intending immigrant, so your income can be counted in the sponsor's household income without you needing to file I-864A.

For your daughter's I-864 for your wife, you need to file I-864A to act as your daughter's "household member" in order to count your income in her household income. Note that, unless your daughter is claiming you as a dependent on her taxes, you must be living in the same residence as her in order for her to be able to count you as a "household member". You would check 1.c "I am not the intending immigrant. I am the sponsor's household member. I am related to the sponsor as his/her: " and choose "Parent".

You would attach the same proof of current income for both. You would need to attach a copy of your most recent year's tax return for the I-864A for your wife, but I don't think you would need to attach it for the other one (the one for yourself that you are not filing I-864A for).

Comment

Should I change to;

16. No check
        17. checked & list my name
        That's correct.

Comment

Thank you again very much!

That's correct.

Comment

One more question,

(For my I-864) Part 5, 7. - Should I put "0" as I'm not filling 864a?...it will make total household size:2 for mine and 3 on wife's. Would it be alright still?

That's correct.

Comment

One more question,

(For my I-864) Part 5, 7. - Should I put "0" as I'm not filling 864a?...it will make total household size:2 for mine and 3 on wife's. Would it be alright still?
              That's correct. You cannot count anyone twice.

Comment

Thank you!

That's correct. You cannot count anyone twice.

Comment

Sorry, 3 more questions regarding I-864,

1) For Part 6. - I put my name on 3 & 17 (Checked on 17 as well),

Should I check Yes, on 18.a. and 18.b. and fill my income(instead of my daughter who has none) record on 19 a,b and c?

*I'm wondering this option because there is no other place to say that I'm attaching my tax return transcripts.

2) If my income tax return is not to be included at above, I believe we need to check on 20. as my daughter has never worked before.
                  Is a certified letter(stating that she has been an unemployed student with no income) enough as support evidence?

3) My income is salary coming from a company(corporation) witch I own 100%. My Past 3 years of tax return transcripts and a certified letter(stating that I'm the sole owner of the company) be enough as evidence?

Thank you!
                  Last edited by yukisetoy; 03-05-2018, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry, 3 more questions regarding I-864,

1) For Part 6. - I put my name on 3 & 17 (Checked on 17 as well),
                    yes

Should I check Yes, on 18.a. and 18.b. and fill my income(instead of my daughter who has none) record on 19 a,b and c?
                    No. That's for your daughter.

2) If my income tax return is not to be included at above, I believe we need to check on 20. as my daughter has never worked before.
                    yes

Is a certified letter(stating that she has been an unemployed student with no income) enough as support evidence?
                    Doesn't need to be certified. Just a regular statement saying that her income was 0 (or whatever) for those tax years, and that's below the level of income for needing to file (which you can find in the relevant year's Form 1040 instructions, in a section near the beginning called "Do You Have To File?").

3) My income is salary coming from a company(corporation) witch I own 100%. My Past 3 years of tax return transcripts and a certified letter(stating that I'm the sole owner of the company) be enough as evidence?
                    Should be.

Comment

Got it. Thank you again newacct.

yes

No. That's for your daughter.

yes

Doesn't need to be certified. Just a regular statement saying that her income was 0 (or whatever) for those tax years, and that's below the level of income for needing to file (which you can find in the relevant year's Form 1040 instructions, in a section near the beginning called "Do You Have To File?").

Should be.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X