I-864 help- urgent!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-864 help- urgent!!!!

I need help figuring out which box on part 1 on the I ? 864 I need to check. I am the petitioner for my husband. However, last year I was on maternity leave for three months so my income is not as high as it has been in past years. Due to this and just to be safe I am having another family member also fill out an I ? 864. I am not sure if I still check that I am the petitioner, or if I need to check the box that says I am the 1st of 2 joint sponsors. I have a lawyer but his assistant has filled it out 3 separate ways. Now I don?t feel confident in her work as she also messed up my I-130. Please help. I need the correct boxes check and need to send this to my husband as his interview is in a few weeks.

Originally posted by susiejnh View Post
    I need help figuring out which box on part 1 on the I ? 864 I need to check. I am the petitioner for my husband. However, last year I was on maternity leave for three months so my income is not as high as it has been in past years. Due to this and just to be safe I am having another family member also fill out an I ? 864. I am not sure if I still check that I am the petitioner, or if I need to check the box that says I am the 1st of 2 joint sponsors. I have a lawyer but his assistant has filled it out 3 separate ways. Now I don?t feel confident in her work as she also messed up my I-130. Please help. I need the correct boxes check and need to send this to my husband as his interview is in a few weeks.
    You check "I am the petitioner" on your I-864, and the joint sponsor checks "I am the only joint sponsor" on their I-864.

By the way, what matters is your current (right now) income, not your income last year.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you!i thought it went of the previous years? income. Basically everything the assistant has told me I am finding out is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by susiejnh View Post
        Thank you!i thought it went of the previous years? income. Basically everything the assistant has told me I am finding out is wrong.
        Where it asks for your current income (Part 6 #7), that is the current salary of your current job, not anything from any year's tax returns (unless you're self-employed). That adds up into your current household income (Part 6 #20). That is the number that needs to be over the 125% poverty line level. You are also separately asked about the "total income" number from your tax returns from the last 3 years (Part 6 #24), but that is just supporting evidence to show consistency of income, and the incomes there doesn't need to meet any level; it probably only matters in cases where your current income is borderline.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Where it asks for your current income (Part 6 #7), that is the current salary of your current job, not anything from any year's tax returns (unless you're self-employed). That adds up into your current household income (Part 6 #20). That is the number that needs to be over the 125% poverty line level. You are also separately asked about the "total income" number from your tax returns from the last 3 years (Part 6 #24), but that is just supporting evidence to show consistency of income, and the incomes there doesn't need to meet any level; it probably only matters in cases where your current income is borderline.
          Hi again! i was wondering about this too! My husband is starting a new job with a higher pay and i was wondering if we submit the paperwork after he starts his new job, should we include his new salary or should we just go for a joint sponsor like we were going for originally?
          Thanks in advance!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X