Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens when green card expires while removing the conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens when green card expires while removing the conditions?

I have a marriage based green card for 2 years. Now, I had to remove the conditions from my green card. You can apply for removing the conditions no earlier than 90-days prior to the application. I did about 2 months ago, USCIS website said that they received my application but no further notice (no biometrics, no interview appointment) after then.

In 10 days my green card will expire and I'm not sure how to prove my legal status after then. I heard I could get a temporary I-551 stamp from the local USCIS office. If this is the right thing to do, should I apply by myself or should my lawyers do this. Since the application was being handled with the lawyers I don't have the receipt number.

Originally posted by cdefg View Post
    I have a marriage based green card for 2 years. Now, I had to remove the conditions from my green card. You can apply for removing the conditions no earlier than 90-days prior to the application. I did about 2 months ago, USCIS website said that they received my application but no further notice (no biometrics, no interview appointment) after then.

In 10 days my green card will expire and I'm not sure how to prove my legal status after then. I heard I could get a temporary I-551 stamp from the local USCIS office. If this is the right thing to do, should I apply by myself or should my lawyers do this. Since the application was being handled with the lawyers I don't have the receipt number.
    You should get an I-751 paper receipt, which also serves as a 1-year "extension letter", which can be used in combination with the expired green card for all purposes a green card is used for (e.g. work or re-entry) up to 1 year after the green card expired. If your I-751 is still pending near the end of that year (which is not uncommon as I-751 often take more than a year these days), you can go in to your local office get an I-551 stamp; you would just make an InfoPass appointment by yourself to do that.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X