Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current wait times - GC spouse - current visa bulletin

Hello,

I'm a lawful permanent resident (green card) and am going to file a I-130 form for my spouse, who is currently living outside the US.
    I'm trying to determine, based on the current visa bulletin, how long the whole process should take, assuming we would be filing the I-130 sometime in June 2018. I've done a quick research on this forum but didn't get any recent answers.

Here's the latest visa bulletin as of June 2018 as far as I know: https://travel.state.gov/content/tri...june-2018.html
    I'm a little unclear on what is the actual date I should be referring to, I believe we would be under the 'F2A' category which lists 22SEP17 under the "B. DATES FOR FILING FAMILY-SPONSORED VISA APPLICATIONS" or 08JUN16 under the "A. FINAL ACTION DATES FOR FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCE CASES". From my understanding the one to look for is 22SEP17 since it's present.

Given a priority date of June 2018, would the wait time to get visa available be around 9 months? (September 17 through June 18). Can anyone briefly show a possible timeline of the events assuming a priority date of June 2018 for I-130?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by nazgul86 View Post
    Hello,

I'm a lawful permanent resident (green card) and am going to file a I-130 form for my spouse, who is currently living outside the US.
    I'm trying to determine, based on the current visa bulletin, how long the whole process should take, assuming we would be filing the I-130 sometime in June 2018. I've done a quick research on this forum but didn't get any recent answers.

Here's the latest visa bulletin as of June 2018 as far as I know: https://travel.state.gov/content/tri...june-2018.html
    I'm a little unclear on what is the actual date I should be referring to, I believe we would be under the 'F2A' category which lists 22SEP17 under the "B. DATES FOR FILING FAMILY-SPONSORED VISA APPLICATIONS" or 08JUN16 under the "A. FINAL ACTION DATES FOR FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCE CASES". From my understanding the one to look for is 22SEP17 since it's present.

Given a priority date of June 2018, would the wait time to get visa available be around 9 months? (September 17 through June 18). Can anyone briefly show a possible timeline of the events assuming a priority date of June 2018 for I-130?

Thanks in advance.
    She cannot actually get the immigrant visa until the Final Action Date reaches her priority date. So expect her to get the visa around mid-2020 if you file I-130 in June 2018.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi folks, we have the exact same situation here.

newacct, others, does this mean that around mid-2020 the I-130 stage would be completed and then we would need to apply for I-485, which would likely take another 18 months or so? Or are you referring that I-130 and I-485 together would be completed by mid 2020, and the spouse would be able to enter US then?

What also confuses me is that on the website at https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/, the processing times for I-130, say in the Dallas Center, is listed 5-7 months. How does this relate to the rest of the timelines that we are discussing here?

Really appreciate your input on this, everyone!

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      She cannot actually get the immigrant visa until the Final Action Date reaches her priority date. So expect her to get the visa around mid-2020 if you file I-130 in June 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan878 View Post
        Hi folks, we have the exact same situation here.

newacct, others, does this mean that around mid-2020 the I-130 stage would be completed and then we would need to apply for I-485, which would likely take another 18 months or so? Or are you referring that I-130 and I-485 together would be completed by mid 2020, and the spouse would be able to enter US then?

What also confuses me is that on the website at https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/, the processing times for I-130, say in the Dallas Center, is listed 5-7 months. How does this relate to the rest of the timelines that we are discussing here?

Really appreciate your input on this, everyone!
        I-485 (Adjustment of Status) is only for people in the US. If your wife is outside the US and doing Consular Processing, I-485 will not be involved at all. The I-130 petition itself will be approved in a few months to a year probably, but how long the petition takes to approve doesn't really matter -- an approved petition does not allow her to proceed to the next step. She still has to wait until a visa number becomes available before she can go to the next step. If she is doing Consular Processing abroad, you and her will be contacted for the next steps some months before a visa number becomes available. At the end of the process, she will get an immigrant visa. When she enters the US with that visa, she will immediately be a permanent resident.

You and the OP married after you became a permanent, right? (Because if you married before becoming a permanent resident, depending on the situation, there might be another way for your wife to immigrate.)

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

My husband is a lawful permanent resident, and I am currently living outside the United States. He filed my petition last year September 28, 2017, and until now we are still waiting for the approval, the whole process would take 2 years or more than 2 years.

Comment

Thanks newacct, dmbalase.

So the processing times for I-130 approval are specific to the office where the petition is submitted, but the overall duration until the spouse gets the visa doesn't depend on the state / processing office, I assume.

Comment

It's over a 2 year process for bringing your spouse on F2A category. Looking at the visa bulletin, it has been moving about a month every month. I filed for my wife in 2016 and our priority date is 22SEP16. Several months to go..
              Again, this also depends on the consulate where the interview will be held and how busy they are.

Comment

Hello...
                My Spouse have lawful permanent resident (green card) filed a I-130 form for me(in India). As per the latest visa bulletin July 2019,it shows Current for F2A category. Our priority date was Dec 2018. Is the visa process got speedup? How much time will it take if the priority date is current?Did we need to contact the NVC or wait them to call?
                plz help me out
                Thank you

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X