U.S. Citizen Claiming Mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Citizen Claiming Mother

I am a naturalized U.S. Citizen and would like to claim my mother, who is living outside of the U.S. currently.

Is she eligible for concurrent filing of I-30 and I-485? Can I fill both out for her since she is not able to sign and send it (she is in Cuba so there is no mail between Cuba and the US)? Do I pay the fees for both the I-30 and I-485 or just the larger fee of the 2?

Originally posted by mc25 View Post
    I am a naturalized U.S. Citizen and would like to claim my mother, who is living outside of the U.S. currently.

Is she eligible for concurrent filing of I-30 and I-485? Can I fill both out for her since she is not able to sign and send it (she is in Cuba so there is no mail between Cuba and the US)? Do I pay the fees for both the I-30 and I-485 or just the larger fee of the 2?
    I-485 is the form for Adjustment of Status, which is the process of getting permanent residency from inside the US. If she is abroad, she would go through Consular Processing for an immigrant visa. This process does not involve I-485. You would start by filing just I-130.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by mc25 View Post

You already received the correct answer (no), but to add to it: Your starting point should be to read through the relevant introductory material on the USCIS web site. Here (very high-level PDF): https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/A1en.pdf and here (site with all relevant document links): https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...nent-residents
      AOS from F1 OPT, full packet, c(9)
      06/06 Package sent to Chicago lockbox
      06/11 Package received
      06/11 PD
      06/18 4 email + 4 SMS notifications. NBC
      06/23 3 NoA received via mail. I-131 missing
      07/06 Biometrics notice, Anchorage for 07/12
      07/09 800 miles drive, 15 moose, 1 porcupine and 3 eagles later, walk-in biometrics
      07/17 Missing NoA for I-131 showed up in the mail
      08/23 Interview, Anchorage
      08/25 New card is being produced
      08/27 Case was approved

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X