Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I 485 Adjustment of status for non-citizen spouse

Hello!
    I have been lurking in the backgrounds reading these threads for a while. I have a question of my own which I hope this group can help shed some light. I am a US citizen married to my non-citizen husband since April 2015. I filed a petition for adjustment of status in 2017 with a PD of Sept 2017 in Chicago. We submitted all the paperwork and forms along with our application. We got called for our adjustment of status interview in August 2018. However, we had moved out of Chicago in April 2018, and I submitted AR 11 forms for both husband and I. The interview letter did arrive at the old address in my husband(beneficiary's) name. I have proof from USCIS that both of our addresses were updated in May 2018 yet the letter went to the old address and got forwarded to the new address.

The interview went well and the officer did verbally say he will approve and we should be able to get our green card within 3-4 weeks time but he did hand us a piece of paper that our case needs review. After one month, we received another letter in my husband names to show up for another adjustment of status interview in October 2018 at the Detroit office. The letter is not I-797 form like the one we initially got, this one asks my husband to bring I 864, joint tax returns, joint asset proofs and also to bring the petitioner with him. Now, we are both confused as to what it means, is it a stokes interview or is this because of the address change? Please help us understand what this is so we can better prepare ourselves. Thanks!
    Last edited by Starburst; 10-12-2018, 12:27 PM.

Originally posted by Starburst View Post
    Hello!
    I have been lurking in the backgrounds reading these threads for a while. I have a question of my own which I hope this group can help shed some light. I am a US citizen married to my non-citizen husband since April 2015. I filed a petition for adjustment of status in 2017 with a PD of Sept 2017 in Chicago. We submitted all the paperwork and forms along with our application. We got called for our adjustment of status interview in August 2018. However, we had moved out of Chicago in April 2018, and I submitted AR 11 forms for both husband and I. The interview letter did arrive at the old address in my husband(beneficiary's) name. I have proof from USCIS that both of our addresses were updated in May 2018 yet the letter went to the old address and got forwarded to the new address.

The interview went well and the officer did verbally say he will approve and we should be able to get our green card within 3-4 weeks time but he did hand us a piece of paper that our case needs review. After one month, we received another letter in my husband names to show up for another adjustment of status interview in October 2018 at the Detroit office. The letter is not I-797 form like the one we initially got, this one asks my husband to bring I 864, joint tax returns, joint asset proofs and also to bring the petitioner with him. Now, we are both confused as to what it means, is it a stokes interview or is this because of the address change? Please help us understand what this is so we can better prepare ourselves. Thanks!
    it honestly could be either a stokes interview, or just a verification due to having moved. either way, go in, be honest, and may you have the best of luck.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
      it honestly could be either a stokes interview, or just a verification due to having moved. either way, go in, be honest, and may you have the best of luck.
      Thanks Krypton, I am hopeful everything goes well but its quite nerve wrecking not knowing what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Starburst View Post
        Hello!

From what you have outlined it appears to be that there was a glitch in the system in the sense that the Chicago interview was scheduled by mistake, while the current interview is the right one (since you now fall under the purview of the Detroit office). So what I mean to say is that essentially the Detroit system does not know you have already appeared for a AOS interview. Just my 2 cents.
        Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
          From what you have outlined it appears to be that there was a glitch in the system in the sense that the Chicago interview was scheduled by mistake, while the current interview is the right one (since you now fall under the purview of the Detroit office). So what I mean to say is that essentially the Detroit system does not know you have already appeared for a AOS interview. Just my 2 cents.
          Thanks Scientist2016. Hmm, this could be it. I will post an update next week.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X