Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Following to Join - what are the logistics and is it applicable in my situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following to Join - what are the logistics and is it applicable in my situation?

I have a question about ?following to join?.

I am a US Citizen and my husband is an Israeli citizen. We got married in the US when he was visiting on his tourist visa.

I will be submitting I-130 while he is living outside of US. He has a 14-year old daughter and we are planning to submit a separate I-130 for her as I understand she doesn?t qualify as a derivative beneficiary, correct?

She will not be ready to move to the US yet once he does, due to her wanting to finish school in Israel, so would she be eligible for ?following to join?? According to the article on this website, I don?t believe so, but yesterday we were consulting with a lawyer and she?s thinks she would be.

Originally posted by alinai View Post
    I have a question about ?following to join?.

I am a US Citizen and my husband is an Israeli citizen. We got married in the US when he was visiting on his tourist visa.

I will be submitting I-130 while he is living outside of US. He has a 14-year old daughter and we are planning to submit a separate I-130 for her as I understand she doesn?t qualify as a derivative beneficiary, correct?
    correct

Originally posted by alinai View Post
    She will not be ready to move to the US yet once he does, due to her wanting to finish school in Israel, so would she be eligible for ?following to join?? According to the article on this website, I don?t believe so, but yesterday we were consulting with a lawyer and she?s thinks she would be.
    No. "Follow to join" refers to a derivative beneficiary immigrating separately from the principal beneficiary. Your daughter is not a derivative beneficiary; she would be a principal beneficiary. She doesn't have to immigrate immediately when her petition is approved; however, they revoke approved petitions after 1 year of inactivity, so you would need to call them once every year to keep it alive. Or, you could wait until she's almost ready to immigrate to petition her.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X