Can you wait for your GC outside US once you entered the US with F1 visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you wait for your GC outside US once you entered the US with F1 visa

I am not ready to give up my country of resident yet and wander once I enter US with the F1 visa, can I come back and wait for my GC outside US? or are you able to work immediately. i.e. would you get SSN straight away?
    Also, is it possible to live outside US with the minimum required days or months that will allow you to retain your GC while waiting for citizenship in another country? Let's say you can not find a better job or there is long process to transfer your career to US?
    Also can you take your pet's to US if immigrated?
    thank you

Under what basis would you be applying for your green card? simply entering on an F1 will not allow that, you would have to have another means of obtaining or filing for a green card.
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
      Under what basis would you be applying for your green card? simply entering on an F1 will not allow that, you would have to have another means of obtaining or filing for a green card.
      Maybe they meant enter on an immigrant visa from the F1 category (e.g. F11)?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        Maybe they meant enter on an immigrant visa from the F1 category (e.g. F11)?
        Yes entering US on family based F1 visa but going back until I get a GC. I don't want to hang around in US without a GC. Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by YoY View Post
          Yes entering US on family based F1 visa but going back until I get a GC. I don't want to hang around in US without a GC. Is that possible?
          When you enter the US, you will immediately have a GC -- the immigrant visa upon entry becomes an I-551 valid for one year from the date of entry, which is equivalent to the plastic card (which is also an I-551) in every way. You can do all the things you can do with GC before getting the plastic card, including hang around in the US, work, or take temporary trips abroad and return to the US. Just make sure to maintain residence in the US during your trips abroad. If you will be receiving the plastic card while you are away, make sure it is sent to an address where someone can receive it for you.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            When you enter the US, you will immediately have a GC -- the immigrant visa upon entry becomes an I-551 valid for one year from the date of entry, which is equivalent to the plastic card (which is also an I-551) in every way. You can do all the things you can do with GC before getting the plastic card, including hang around in the US, work, or take temporary trips abroad and return to the US. Just make sure to maintain residence in the US during your trips abroad. If you will be receiving the plastic card while you are away, make sure it is sent to an address where someone can receive it for you.
            Thank you. That's the information I wanted to hear.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X