Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage for more than 2 years but conditional green card

Hi everyone,
    I 've been married for more than 2 years at the time of AOS interview and just got a conditional green card. Tried to find official info about this ob USCIS website but without luck, called USCIS and they said that everyone gets conditional green card and then you remove conditions. However, everywhere on this forum and other forums I see that if you are married for more than 2 years you should get a green card for 10 years.. Did USCIS change anything or it could be their mistake? I married to LPR in December of 2015 and I485 was approved on 12/21/2018. Its been more than 2 years , right?
    Thank you

Originally posted by fountain View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I 've been married for more than 2 years at the time of AOS interview and just got a conditional green card. Tried to find official info about this ob USCIS website but without luck, called USCIS and they said that everyone gets conditional green card and then you remove conditions. However, everywhere on this forum and other forums I see that if you are married for more than 2 years you should get a green card for 10 years.. Did USCIS change anything or it could be their mistake? I married to LPR in December of 2015 and I485 was approved on 12/21/2018. Its been more than 2 years , right?
    Thank you
    It's a mistake. File I-90 and select reason "2.d" (incorrect data because of DHS error). Attach your card and marriage certificate. You do not need to pay a fee.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      It's a mistake. File I-90 and select reason "2.d" (incorrect data because of DHS error). Attach your card and marriage certificate. You do not need to pay a fee.
      or it could be that they didn't provide in the IO's opinion suitable evidence of a bonafide marriage so they're keeping it conditional to be safe. being married for 3 years doesn't guarantee that you'll immediate 10 year green-card.
      This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

Originally posted by krypton9591 View Post
        or it could be that they didn't provide in the IO's opinion suitable evidence of a bonafide marriage so they're keeping it conditional to be safe.
        They can't do that.

being married for 3 years doesn't guarantee that you'll immediate 10 year green-card.
        Yes it does, if the date you become a permanent resident is at least 2 years after you married. The law does not allow someone in that case to become a conditional permanent resident.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you newacct,
          So if I file i-90 the worst can happen is they can deny it, correct? nothing major as I understand?

- - - Updated - - -

or it could be that they didn't provide in the IO's opinion suitable evidence of a bonafide marriage so they're keeping it conditional to be safe. being married for 3 years doesn't guarantee that you'll immediate 10 year green-card.
          Well, our first interview went well and I got approved i-130 in 2016,
          second or final interview went very well too, at the end the officer was very nice and said to me that there is no need to speak to my wife, everything is fine. except she made a mistake and told me it would be conditional green card. She counted wrong , but I got confused and didn't want to argue with her because I wasn't sure. I hoped they would do it right. But then I researched and found out that in my case I am supposed to get 10 year gc....
          Also you meant to attach green card, copy of it,correct? not the actual one?
          Last edited by fountain; 01-07-2019, 03:23 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X