Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GC through marriage - employer's lawyer helped file, but want to leave the company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC through marriage - employer's lawyer helped file, but want to leave the company

Hi everyone,

I am on H1B visa since 2015 and I just filed for adjustment of status through marriage(I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765). My husband is a US citizen. Originally, my employer offered to sponsor my GC. I declined saying that I plan on applying for GC through marriage after I get married (this happened couple months before the wedding). The employer actually then offered to help me file the GC through marriage instead. I hesitated knowing that I was planning on leaving the company after filing, but it would have looked suspicious declining the offer anyway so I accepted.
    The company lawyer has been a great resource and she made sure we filed ASAP after the wedding. We worked on all the documents and supporting evidences before we even filed so that if we get a RFE, we would already have everything ready.

So last November of 2018 we filed all forms, and got receipt notice late November. Got the biometrics done mid-December. The I-485 status online changed to "Case is ready to be scheduled for interview".
    My question now is, since I filed the GC through the company lawyer, is there any harm in leaving my job and waiting for the visa? I am planning on studying full time. I was just assigned to a new project which would take a lot of time and I don't think I can handle classes and full time work at the same time. I may not work for the rest of the year, so work permit is not really a rush at this point.

- If I don't have the company lawyer to work with after I leave my job, will there be any repercussions to my case?
    - Do I need to hire another lawyer for my interview and other misc things?

I tried asking a immigration lawyer for a consultation and they told me that I should hire a lawyer to represent me to the interview. I'm not sure if this is really necessary since I have a pretty solid history, no criminal records, and I'm pretty sure I can prove that my marriage is bonafide.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X