X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sasif View Post
    Hello,

I need a little advice.

We just moved to a new house. What is the procedure for a change of address?

Thanks
    We courier letter to NVC for change of address. and they replied back to our new address.
    "please be advised that your inquiry has been processed. Any documents submitted with your inquiry have been processed and placed into the case file."

Comment

• Originally posted by daru786 View Post
      You must do you change of address if you are in US withing 10 days or else they may deny your case. If you are outside US you must do a change of address for future correspondence. There is a form available at the USCIS website with filing instructions.
      Good Luck!
      Thanks for the reply.

We live outside US. Can our petitioner (whose in US), send a letter to USCIS on our behalf for a change of address?

Is filling out and sending the application online a must?

Comment

• Originally posted by sasif View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

We live outside US. Can our petitioner (whose in US), send a letter to USCIS on our behalf for a change of address?

Is filling out and sending the application online a must?
        I believe you will have to contact NVC and get your address changed.

Comment

• Life in NY

Hi all,
          Its been 2 weeks now since we have been here in NY.Kids are enrolled in school.They like it,and have a few friends already.
          We havent got our green card or social security card yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get it? Meanwhile we are preparing resumes,and looking
          for job oppurtunities. Hope everyone is doing well.

Comment

• Originally posted by twins View Post
            Hi all,
            Its been 2 weeks now since we have been here in NY.Kids are enrolled in school.They like it,and have a few friends already.
            We havent got our green card or social security card yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get it? Meanwhile we are preparing resumes,and looking
            You will need to apply for social security cards at the social security office, once you get your GC. When making your resume, please keep it to one page only.
            Good Luck!

Comment

• residency

Dear Daru 786,

How can we decide residency for green card?
              can we choose any state to live?
              This is because college fees for residence student is lower.
              please guide.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsz View Post
                Dear Daru 786,

please guide.
                You can choose which ever state you would like. Do google search on US States to find out the economy situation. There are 3 or 4 states currently which have jobs and economy is better. California is one of the best states but housing is very expensive. New York looks and feels like a 3rd world country, as if we never left our country.
                Good Luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by twins View Post
                  Hi all,
                  Great news twins,

Regarding the Green card - it will arrive in post within 30-45 days of your port of entry date. In respect to your SSN# card, you must have mentioned in DS-230 - Q43a and Q43b and as per that you will get your SSN# cards in due course. You will not have to apply separately for your SSN#'s.

Good luck.

Comment

• dsz...resident

Originally posted by dsz View Post
                    Dear Daru 786,

please guide.
                    "Resident" doesn't have the same dictionary meaning when it comes to different situations in US. For example, Resident has different meaning for immigration purposes (usually defined as Alien Resident or greencard holder), than in terms of filing your tax returns (you dont have to be greencard holder for meeting the definition of Resident for tax purpose).

Your question is about which state to be resident so the college fee is less for you or your dependents. None of the terms used by Immigration or Tax purpose apply to the term Resident when applying for the college admission/fee.

You can choose any state to live in, but most state (Universities, Colleges) require you to live in that particular state for atleast 12 months before you can apply for the Resident tution fee. The NON resident tution fee is almost four times more than the resident fee. Each state has their own documentation, as how do you prove the (12 months) residency, but most common are i) file resident state tax return ii) drivers license iii) utility bills.

College fee is very high in US, thats why many students dont even go to the college, and some (when they move to another state) wait for a year to become resident in that state, so they can be billed resident (less) fee.

Now, regardless of resident or non resident fee, you can apply for student loan or may qualify for the scholarship.
                    Last edited by Redsquash; 09-29-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• thanks

Originally posted by Redsquash View Post
                      "Resident" doesn't have the same dictionary meaning when it comes to different situations in US. For example, Resident has different meaning for immigration purposes (usually defined as Alien Resident or greencard holder), than in terms of filing your tax returns (you dont have to be greencard holder for meeting the definition of Resident for tax purpose).

Your question is about which state to be resident so the college fee is less for you or your dependents. None of the terms used by Immigration or Tax purpose apply to the term Resident when applying for the college admission/fee.

You can choose any state to live in, but most state (Universities, Colleges) require you to live in that particular state for atleast 12 months before you can apply for the Resident tution fee. The NON resident tution fee is almost four times more than the resident fee. Each state has their own documentation, as how do you prove the (12 months) residency, but most common are i) file resident state tax return ii) drivers license iii) utility bills.

College fee is very high in US, thats why many students dont even go to the college, and some (when they move to another state) wait for a year to become resident in that state, so they can be billed resident (less) fee.

Now, regardless of resident or non resident fee, you can apply for student loan or may qualify for the scholarship.

Thanks Redsquash and Daru 786 you are helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by dsz View Post
                        Thanks Redsquash and Daru 786 you are helpful.
                        You are welcome, I do my best to give you the big picture rather than give someone thumbs down. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
                        good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Redsquash View Post

Before you give a thumbs down, LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Thumbs

Originally posted by daru786 View Post
                            Before you give a thumbs down, LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!
                            I apologize.

Truth is, I NEVER EVER knew there was this feature of Thumbs Up/Down - I was just replying the post, and MUST HAVE accidently clicked on the wrong button. After I saw your post, it made me look "big picture" and I realized my mistake. I have corrected the mistake, which was never intended.

dsz and Daru, please cheer up - there is no reason to declare Thumbs Down to anyone or any post here. Everyone here is very helpful and are helping each other. Again, I'm sorry for what you saw, but trust me - it was a mistake and never intended (c'mon I have only less than 20 posts so far - and it could have happened without my noticing)

Comment

• Newborn right after interview

I had my interview with my family last month. We were put on AP, counceller held our passport. one week after interview my wife gave birth a baby. My question is how to add newborn in ptetion. What about DS 230 and VIsa fee.

Comment

• @ nice,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby ! I don't know how to advise you with this because what I found out is that the parents would have to now petition for the child from the U.S and that would mean leaving the baby behind. This would indeed be would be very sad and painful... If it boils down to that I would suggest one parent go and stay in U.S and the other go but return to the home country for as long as possible. Maybe there might be another way... Perhaps you can contact the embassy and there may be someone you can speak to, perhaps you can email NVC. I hope and pray there is another way.

One note, for others who may be facing the same situation, please ask NVC for a change in appointment date if ever there is a late stage pregnancy involved. It is very easy to get the change done.

Nice, do let us know how everything goes. We learn from each other's experiences on the forum. I really hope it works out.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X