Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring Parents

Hello,

I recently became a U.S. Citizen (over 21) and below is the situation I'm facing to bring my parents from Brazil (they are not married to each other).

Father:
    He was here illegally for a few years, but he then married a U.S. Citizen. He was able to receive his one year green card, but unfortunately the marriage didn't work out. They divorced and he decided to go back to Brazil. He left on Dec. 16, 2008 and his green card was valid until Jan. 19, 2009, so he left the country legally. I would like to petition for him by completing a form I-130. He was never married to my mother, so I must present additional documentations to prove our relationship.
    1. What kind of supporting documents are accepted (other than birth certificate)?
    2. Could the fact that he was once here illegally be a problem during the interview in Brazil?

Mother:
    Her tourist visa was canceled by immigration when she was leaving the U.S. with my American nephew. She had also been here a few years illegally. A couple of years later, she tried to come to my wedding, but the immigration officer denied her a new visa. I would like to petition for her now that l'm a U.S. Citizen, but I was told she falls under the 10 year ban. She has been in Brazil for 5 years already, but her health is deteriorating. I'm willing to go through the waiver process (since I know they won't approve her I-130 because of the ban). I know there's only a 1% chance or something, but I will try. It has been an extreme hardship for me having to send her money for medical reasons as she has fibromyalgia, bone spurs, diabetes, heart problems (she's only 47!).
    1. Any advice for me? Where should I start?

I'm very close to my parents and this has been a horrible experience for me.

Thank you SO much for your help!

Best to get an attorney to review your options. Your situation seem a bit complicated.
    Disclaimer:Please bear in mind, my comments are not to be construed as legal advice. These are just my reasonings, based on my personal immigration experience or what I have read. Pay for legal advice or call USCIS to verify my comments.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X