Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Certificate alternative for mother

Hello,
    I am applying for green card for my mother (Indian citizen). She does not have a birth certificate (1947 DOB) and the USCIS website also says Birth cert is not necessary for those born before 1970.
    he is already in the US, and when we contacted the Local government for non availability certificate, they are asking for quite a bit of "you know what".

However, she does have an employment letter from the Income Tax (when she joined there) stating her date of birth. Is that sufficient.
    She also has one elder sister who can provide affidavit for her date of birth.

Are the above two documents sufficient or should I be looking at 'appeasing' the government officials?

Thank you
    RK

Hi Member,

We have Answered about birth certificate related questions many time. I just sharing same thing that we answered for other Member.

For more information about Birth certificate, you can visit Immihelp website which contains more information about this.

Here is the link for your comfortable: https://www.immihelp.com/non-availab...-us-greencard/

If applicant does not have birth certificate then there is alternate options too.
    here is alternate options .
    1. Affidavits from the people who can attest they have firsthand knowledge of the birth. Please make sure to have two different affidavit from two different person.
    2. Certificate of unavailability. This you can get from the local recordkeeping body or official office where the applicant was born actually.
    And also please consider secondary evidence.
    1. Medical or hospital records
    2. Certificate from the religious institutions
    3. Any Government records shows the birth date and confirming the citizenship
    4. Financial documents such as tax documents or Bank related documents
    5. Employment documents
    6. Educational documents such as mark statements, Transfer certificates.

As per USCIS guidelines,
    A copy of the applicant’s foreign birth certificate or sufficient secondary evidence of birth must be submitted to establish the applicant’s country of citizenship for visa chargeability, identity, and existence of derivative relationships.

Therefore, If birth certificate is not available then you will have alternate options to move forward.
    All the best.
    Thanks

Comment

I provided an affidavit from my mom's elder brother instead of BC. It was accepted by USCIS.

Comment

Thank you all. I provided copy of passport, and a letter from her elder sister notarized on stamp paper as additional evidence. So far have not received additional RFE for the same (been nearly 12 months since I applied)

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X