US citizen bringing sister to the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US citizen bringing sister to the US

I am a US citizen (by birth) and in 2006 I sponsored my mother and was able to get her a Green card in a years time. Her latest trip to the US was in May 2009 when she got her re-entry permit for 2 years.
    However, recently my mom of age 54 years, died in an tragic accident in India in August 2010. My father passed away when I was 6 years old and the only direct family I have left are 3 other sisters (2 elder sisters who are married and living in India/UK and one younger sister who is single and living in India). I am currently single and 28 years old.

At this time, I am trying to explore my options to bring my younger sister to the US. I would like to get your perspective on what are the some of the best options that would be available to me. I have mentioned below a few of the possibilities I have thought of but would like to get your perspective on them as well as any additional approaches you would recommend. My main objectives are to get her to the US quickly and on a permanent basis.

1.I sponsor her on family immigration but it would be Fourth Preference and would take many years (This process takes 7-14 years and it would be my very last option).
    2.She comes on a temporary Student or Work visa and I sponsor her for the Green Card at a later point (though I am not sure if this would be possible and whether she would be able to obtain a student visa, given our current family situation).
    3.I could make a special case that she is single and without any parents and so I could claim her as a Dependent (again not sure if this would be possible).
    4.Could my mother’s Green card be transferred to my sister?
    5.Should any sort of immigration process start for my sister, would she be prohibited from entering to the USA on a tourist visa temporarily?

I would be very grateful to any ideas/suggestions on bringing my sister to the US.
    Thanks
    KM

If you file an I-130 for her as a sibling, she won't get a visa for over a decade, so THAT I-130 filing, by itself, should not prevent her from getting a tourist or student visa if otherwise eligible. You have another sister who is married and living in India. Does your younger sister live with her? That would help little sister's case for a nonimmigrant visa to the U.S.

Since a sibling greencard is so far into the future, she might do well to pursue an education that would help her gain an employment based nonimmigrant or immigrant visa to the U.S. (or even the U.K.?).

More than what you want, what does she want?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X