Polygamy/ Green Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygamy/ Green Card

My mom has recently been accepted for a green card through Diversity lottery. As we were filling out the forms (my parents live separately BUT never got a divorce), we realized my dad has name of a second wife in his ID. And this is while my dad was on my mom's file for green card as her dependant.

We are running out of time (since apparently there will be a limited number of applicants receving the green card on a first come-first serve basis) and my mom does not know whether she has to indicate my dad as her spouse, and by doing so, would this jeopardize my mom's receiving her green card? Does she have to get a divorce right now and omit my father from her forms?

What if she keeps my dad on her file? Will my dad, having two wives receive a green card or this is considered illegal?

My best advice to you is keep everything as it is. Your mother is filing for herself and the infos about her marital status is just very normal. Now when your father files for Green card he will fill out the details of his marital status, at then if he gives this infos then he will be denied but nothing to do with your mother. If you want to have more peace of mind you can ask an immigration attorney.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X