Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Emergency: Applying for GC reentry permit when not residing in US

Hi,
    My parents are GC holders - I had applied for them since I'm a US citizen.
    My parents have been maintaining their permanent resident status by traveling out of US for the allowed periods of time, etc.
    They had visited India in Jul 2011 with the intention of wrapping things up and returning to US. they had plans of flying back to US in Apr/May 2012.
    Unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in the brain - beyond surgery, he is now required to go through a period if chemo and radiation therapy.

All of this now means that he cannot fly back to US for some time now - since there's some uncertainty around the entire situation, I wanted for them to apply for their reentry permit even while they are in India.

Since the rules do not seem to allow for this, I wanted to know if there's a provision to seek an exception and to allow someone to apply for a reentry permit even when they're physically not present in the US.

Your input is highly appreciated.

A PR staying outside US for more than a year can apply for a returning resident visa on form DS-117,

One must be able to explain
    1. there were circumstances beyond your control that prevented your return to US for that period.
    2.That you maintain a permanent residence in the US.

for details aboout Returning Resident VIsa,
    please go to US embassy New Delhi website
    and travel.state.gov
    Last edited by peace999; 05-22-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response.

I took a look at it - I understood that the implication there is that though one may be able to return to US on a "Returning Resident Visa", the Green Card will then no longer valid. I'd imagine the processing for GC would have to start all over again.

Can you pls confirm if that understanding is accurate?

-st

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      A PR staying outside US for more than a year can apply for a returning resident visa on form DS-117,

One must be able to explain
      1. there were circumstances beyond your control that prevented your return to US for that period.
      2.That you maintain a permanent residence in the US.

for details aboout Returning Resident VIsa,
      please go to US embassy New Delhi website
      and travel.state.gov

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X