Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family based sponsorship - easy to do without lawyer help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family based sponsorship - easy to do without lawyer help?

Hello - I'm new to this forum and this may be a basic question. I'm planning to file for Family based Green Card for my Mother (Indian Citizen)? I'm an US citizen (Naturalized). I did some research and I see that I have to apply for 2 forms 1) I-864EZ and 2) I-130. My questions are as below :

1) Is it easy to do it myself without any lawyer help? This question is bugging me a lot
    2) Where do I send these forms in case I plan to do it myself.

Again, I'm a newbie to this and any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Lawyer yes, but not at this point.

Hi! I suggest doing the initial applications on your own and then when things get more serious after being approved, for example, going to an interview, then hire a lawyer. This is what I am doing, because it is so easy to fill out the apps and it saves a ton of money. If you go to USCIS and type your form types in the search box you will find the forms that you can download and print and there will also be instructions as to how to fill out each form plus it will contain the address that you will mail the forms to. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks! how long is the process

Thanks for your advise, how long do you think it takes before being approved?

Thanks again!

Comment

Medical Test for Green Card

Amarie,

Have you completed the medical test process. Any recommendations on choosing a Civil Surgeon?

Thanks!

Originally posted by amarie View Post
        Hi! I suggest doing the initial applications on your own and then when things get more serious after being approved, for example, going to an interview, then hire a lawyer. This is what I am doing, because it is so easy to fill out the apps and it saves a ton of money. If you go to USCIS and type your form types in the search box you will find the forms that you can download and print and there will also be instructions as to how to fill out each form plus it will contain the address that you will mail the forms to. Good luck!

Comment

It depends...

The time it takes for an application depends on what forms you are filing and where. Go to the following government website and at the bottom of the page you will find a spot where you can choose which service center you are filing through(depends on where you live), choose the one closest to you and then click the button for "service center processing dates". It will bring up a whole list of application types and the approx processing times. For example, I am filing through California Service Center. I filed an I-130 and am a US Citizen filing for spouse, so my wait time is approx 5 months.

Comment

Hi nm2012,
            My situation is different as I do not have a choice for a Civil Surgeon. My husband is living in Mexico and so his interview will be in Cuidad Juarez. He has to complete his medical test within a few days of the interview and only has a choice out of 2 doctors who are next to the Consulate there. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck.

Originally posted by nm2012 View Post
            Amarie,

Have you completed the medical test process. Any recommendations on choosing a Civil Surgeon?

Thanks!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X