Need help with i-864 Affidavit of Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with i-864 Affidavit of Support

Hi, I had some questions concerning the I-864.
    I'm filing for my husband and stepson, who is 18. From what I understand I need to file 2 affidavits of support (1 for each)
    I was going to use my husband's income on the form for him, but since his income, which he will continue to receive once we move, isn't enough for him to sponsor his son as well, we were going to use a joint sponsor.
    1st question: Does my husband need to fill out a 864A? I understand that since I have to file 2 petitions then my stepson isn't a dependant, right?
    2nd question: Can the joint sponsor only sponsor my stepson's petition (on the one for my husband, his income and assests should be able to cover the minimum, just not enough for the son as well),
    3rd question: Would the joint sponsor have to cover for 3 persons or only 2 (himself and my stepson).
    4th question: On the petition for my husband do we count our household size as 2 or 3? On DOS site, it states:
    (Can a petitioner (sponsor) with limited financial resources sponsor only the principal applicant and not his/her spouse and eligible children?
    Yes, the sponsor can limit the number of sponsored immigrants to the number of people who actually intend to immigrate at that time. The principal applicant must be one of the sponsored immigrants. The petitioner can reduce his/her household size by limiting the number of sponsored applicants. This reduces the minimum income requirement. The sponsor can file another Affidavit of Support for the principal applicant's dependents later when the petitioner and the principal applicant have more income. The principal applicant and any of his/her family members who may have already immigrated must be included in the household size for the new Affidavit of Support.)

So does that mean that I have to count my stepson in question 9 of Form I-864

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Need help with i-864 Affidavit of Support

I think you may be mistaking about filing 2 I-864's. You only need to file one because your stepson is a child under 21. However your financial resources need to cover a household number of 3. If you get a joint sponsor (who is not a household member) then that person needs to file a separate I-864. I don't believe you do a separate I-864 for your husband and step son.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X