Extension of 1st time entry date on Green Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension of 1st time entry date on Green Card

Hello All, due to health reasons, my wife is not able to join me to enter the US for the 1st time on green card. Our green card expires on 25th Jan'15. While I am going to take my 2 children to the US before the timeline, my wife may not be able to make it. I need advice on how to extend the entry date for my wife. Thanks.

Imprak,

I think you are confusing "Green Card" (Permanent Resident Card) with an immigrant visa. You are not issued a Green Card until you arrive in the U.S. The immigrant visa usually has a six-month validity and must be used within that time span. You may request a reissue of your wife's immigrant visa expiration data by applying directly with the Embassy which issued her visa.

Following is the general explanation for this issue that is shown on the Manila U.S. Embassy website, but should be the same procedure at all U.S. Embassies:

"...Generally, an immigrant visa is valid for six (6) months from the date of issuance. The validity of a visa, however, may also be limited because of medical restrictions or other reasons. If an applicant knows that departure will not be possible within this period, he or she should request to have the interview moved to a later date. The Embassy does not extend the validity of an issued visa. However, an expired visa may be replaced if the applicant is able to demonstrate that his/her inability to use the visa was due to circumstances beyond his/her control. If an applicant is determined to be eligible for a replacement visa, he/she will be asked to update his record and will be charged the applicable consular fees.

To request a replacement visa, the expired visa needs to be surrendered at the Embassy with a letter explaining the reasons why the visa was not used. ..."

--Ray B

Originally posted by imprak View Post
    Hello All, due to health reasons, my wife is not able to join me to enter the US for the 1st time on green card. Our green card expires on 25th Jan'15. While I am going to take my 2 children to the US before the timeline, my wife may not be able to make it. I need advice on how to extend the entry date for my wife. Thanks.

Comment

Ray,

Thanks for your prompt advice. Yes, I actually meant immigrant visa. I will approach the US Embassy and request to extend the immigrant visa date.

Thanks
      Imprak

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Imprak,

I think you are confusing "Green Card" (Permanent Resident Card) with an immigrant visa. You are not issued a Green Card until you arrive in the U.S. The immigrant visa usually has a six-month validity and must be used within that time span. You may request a reissue of your wife's immigrant visa expiration data by applying directly with the Embassy which issued her visa.

Following is the general explanation for this issue that is shown on the Manila U.S. Embassy website, but should be the same procedure at all U.S. Embassies:

"...Generally, an immigrant visa is valid for six (6) months from the date of issuance. The validity of a visa, however, may also be limited because of medical restrictions or other reasons. If an applicant knows that departure will not be possible within this period, he or she should request to have the interview moved to a later date. The Embassy does not extend the validity of an issued visa. However, an expired visa may be replaced if the applicant is able to demonstrate that his/her inability to use the visa was due to circumstances beyond his/her control. If an applicant is determined to be eligible for a replacement visa, he/she will be asked to update his record and will be charged the applicable consular fees.

To request a replacement visa, the expired visa needs to be surrendered at the Embassy with a letter explaining the reasons why the visa was not used. ..."

--Ray B

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X