Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 immediate family processing

Hello all,

I am currently a GC with I-130 petitioned for my wife at VSC with PD of March 2014.
    I am naturalizing at Dec and shall upgrade my petition to immediate family. I was hoping that VSC would approve my I-130 in the meantime and I would just upgrade to NVC. But looks like I will have to request USCIS for it at December.

My question is - how many months/weeks might they(VSC) take to approve my I-130 once upgraded? Will it be another five month after naturalizing? or less from my previous PD.

Any experience? please share

(also can I call VSC to process my I-130 now because I will be naturalizing soon and that will save them time later??)

Send your request for status change, along with copies of your Naturalization Certificate and I-130 Receipt Notice of Action to the Vermont Service Center (or whichever processing location is on your I-130 I-797 receipt form).

If the petition gets approved before you naturalize, then you will be contacting the NVC to change your petition status.

I've done this a couple of times, and the transition was relatively seamless and processing time ended up being the same as if the petition had been submitted by a U.S. citizen (once your request for change in status is received).

--Ray B

Originally posted by mookrat View Post
    Hello all,

I am currently a GC with I-130 petitioned for my wife at VSC with PD of March 2014.
    I am naturalizing at Dec and shall upgrade my petition to immediate family. I was hoping that VSC would approve my I-130 in the meantime and I would just upgrade to NVC. But looks like I will have to request USCIS for it at December.

My question is - how many months/weeks might they(VSC) take to approve my I-130 once upgraded? Will it be another five month after naturalizing? or less from my previous PD.

Any experience? please share

(also can I call VSC to process my I-130 now because I will be naturalizing soon and that will save them time later??)

Comment

It looks like I shouldn't have filed petition I-130 as GC. There is no advantage for my case.
      I should have waited to become citizen.
      By the way, I am waiting for my citizenship interview.

Comment

It doesn't matter either way. You can change your petition status after you are Naturalized and your wife's processing will then become "immediate priority"

--Ray B

It looks like I shouldn't have filed petition I-130 as GC. There is no advantage for my case.
        I should have waited to become citizen.
        By the way, I am waiting for my citizenship interview.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Can I notify USCIS now (before interview) that I am scheduled for naturalization interview? so as to save time for the I-130 approval.

Comment

No, that is overkill and totally unnecessary.

This is a very simple issue. When you get your Naturalization certificate, send a copy of it to USCIS if the I-130 is still there, and request changing your petition status. I've done it a half dozen times for clients, either with USCIS or the NVC, and after a few weeks, notice may come of the changed petition status.

--Ray B

Thanks for the reply.

Can I notify USCIS now (before interview) that I am scheduled for naturalization interview? so as to save time for the I-130 approval.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X