Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce decree for filing I-130

Hello,

I have one question about the divorce decree for filing I-130: the problem is that my husband was married before, however, he is not able to locate the divorce decree. In fact, it is not even clear whether the divorce was really filed properly. He has lost contact with his ex-wife for many years.

I was wondering in this situation, how could we provide proof that the marriage of my husband and his ex-wife is terminated legally then?

Thanks for the help.

Contact the court in the county or other jurisdiction where the divorce occurred. Every court in the U.S. has options for obtaining copies of divorces or dissolutions going back decades, though often archived or in State databases after a set number of years.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Alice88 View Post
    Hello,

I have one question about the divorce decree for filing I-130: the problem is that my husband was married before, however, he is not able to locate the divorce decree. In fact, it is not even clear whether the divorce was really filed properly. He has lost contact with his ex-wife for many years.

I was wondering in this situation, how could we provide proof that the marriage of my husband and his ex-wife is terminated legally then?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Overseas Divorce Decree for I-130

Can anyone advice what is defined as a decree for divorce if divorce took place overseas and official document is in non English? We tried to get a copy in English but it is just not possible. Would translating and having it notarized work?
      Is there a difference in notarized or legalized?

Comment

Professional translations of foreign divorce or annulment documents are acceptable, along with a copy of the divorce document.

--Ray B

Originally posted by cyncmt View Post
        Can anyone advice what is defined as a decree for divorce if divorce took place overseas and official document is in non English? We tried to get a copy in English but it is just not possible. Would translating and having it notarized work?

Comment

Does this means that it is better/easier/acceptable to be translated by a certified translation company in USA rather than having it translated it Holland (in my case), get it notarized and apostiled then send to USA?

Would copies of translated document or original be needed?

Comment

Is a copy translated by a professional company , emailed to be and printed by me considered accepted by USCIS?

Comment

The translation needs to be accompanied by a copy of the original divorce document.

--Ray B

Is a copy translated by a professional company , emailed to be and printed by me considered accepted by USCIS?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X