Questions about i-864

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about i-864

When filling out i-864, which box would i check off if I am using a household member's income in addition to my own? On part 1, would i check box 1.d. (I am the only joint sponsor) or would I check 1.e.? If if checking 1.e., would I say that I am the first OR second of two joint sponsors?

Also, on part 6, question 13, theres a box to check that says "i have filed a federal tax return for each of the three most recent tax years. I have attached the required photocopy or transcript of my federal tax return for the most recent tax year." I just started a new job, and I did not work at all in 2014 (was a student). Should I check this box? Or do I not check it and then provide a statement saying I did not file taxes for the most recent year?

When submitting tax docs to NVC, what exactly do they want? I have read they want the entire tax transcript and include all schedules...what exactly does that mean? And can you submit tax docs that you received from Turbo tax? Or does it have to be directly from the IRS?

Also, for part 6, (sponsors income and employment), should I just include the most recent years I have filed taxes (i filed in 2013, 2012, and 2010)? It does not have to be consecutive years, right? The years that i filed were years where i just worked as a waitress and in retail - my earnings were well below poverty (since it was part time) - does this matter? Should I still list my salaries anyways?

I apologize for all the questions just really in need of some clarity so I do it right the first time.

Thank you!

Please see my responses in CAPS after your questions:

Originally posted by visastaketoolong000 View Post
    When filling out i-864, which box would i check off if I am using a household member's income in addition to my own? On part 1, would i check box 1.d. (I am the only joint sponsor) or would I check 1.e.? If if checking 1.e., would I say that I am the first OR second of two joint sponsors?

NEITHER, IF YOU ARE THE PETITIONER, CHECK 1.a. ONLY.

Also, on part 6, question 13, theres a box to check that says "i have filed a federal tax return for each of the three most recent tax years. I have attached the required photocopy or transcript of my federal tax return for the most recent tax year." I just started a new job, and I did not work at all in 2014 (was a student). Should I check this box? Or do I not check it and then provide a statement saying I did not file taxes for the most recent year?

SINCE YOU STATE BELOW THAT YOU FILED ONLY FOR 2010, 2012 AND 2013, DO NOT CHECK THIS BOX, SINCE YOU DIDN'T FILE FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE YEARS.

When submitting tax docs to NVC, what exactly do they want? I have read they want the entire tax transcript and include all schedules...what exactly does that mean? And can you submit tax docs that you received from Turbo tax? Or does it have to be directly from the IRS?

SUBMIT ONLY THE TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT(S) (WHICH IS NORMALLY 23-3 PAGES), OR ALL FORMS AND SCHEDULES OF YOUR FACSIMILE TAX RETURN FROM TAX SOFTWARE. IF THE LATTER, INCLUDE COPIES OF W2 FORMS.

Also, for part 6, (sponsors income and employment), should I just include the most recent years I have filed taxes (i filed in 2013, 2012, and 2010)? It does not have to be consecutive years, right? The years that i filed were years where i just worked as a waitress and in retail - my earnings were well below poverty (since it was part time) - does this matter? Should I still list my salaries anyways?

JUST LINE 22 (FORM 1040 OR 1040A) OR ADJUSTED GROSS FROM 1040-EZ, FOR YOUR THREE YEARS (2010,2012, 2013).

I apologize for all the questions just really in need of some clarity so I do it right the first time.

CLARITY IS GOOD.

Thank you!

Comment

Thank you so much, Ray.

Is it advisable to put "N/A" in ALL boxes / fields in which you do not write anything? I have heard that people get checklists for this (which is really stupid in my opinion).

Should I provide any type of written statement that explains why I did not file for some years (since I did not have a job) or will it be kind of self explanatory for the person reading the forms? Should I also include a statement explaining that my salaries were so low for previous years since I was working part time during college? Or is this also self-explanatory?

The household sponsor I am using is considered self-employed (a consultant for big pharma company), will it matter that the salaries might be different for each tax year? Does the fact that they are considered self employed complicate this process?

Also, for form i-864A, part 2 question 13, how do I fill this out? Do I just put my husbands (beneficiary) information on line a? I'm confused because it says "indicate number"? I do not know what number they are referring to.

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      Please see my responses in CAPS after your questions:

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X