First time entry with Immigrant Visa via a LAND port of entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time entry with Immigrant Visa via a LAND port of entry

Do "land" port of entries handle immigration visas?

I understand that at airports, the authorities knows how to handle these and they put an I-551 stamp (temporary green card) on the passport. Would this work the same way at a land port of entry? (like entry from Canada through Blaine, Washington).

My friend is immigrating from Poland. She just got an immigration visa through "Consular Processing" of her family-based green card application. Her flight goes from Warsaw, Poland to Frankfurt, Germany to Seattle, USA to Vancouver, Canada. She booked her flights to Canada as that was significantly cheaper than the one ending at Seattle, WA. She plans to drive back from Canada to USA through Blaine, WA.

So these are the two main question that worry her:
    1. Would she have to go through CBP at Seattle Airport or will that happen when she cross from Canada to US via Blaine?
    2. Does Blaine port of entry (or any land entry port for that matter) handle immigration visas and puts the I-551 stamp?
    F2A, Spouse of LPR. Center NBC. FO Seattle
    1/19/20 I-130 filed online
    8/10 I-485,I-131,I-765 sent
    9/05 Got I-797 receipts
    9/14 Got RFIE for lack of I-864
    9/22 Sent response
    10/9 Got I-693 Deficiency Notice
    11/13 Got RFE for lack of I-944
    11/20 Sent I-944
    7/13/21 Got biometric notice
    8/9 Biometric day
    8/13 Ready to be scheduled for interview
    3/1/22 I-130 approved
    3/1 Got RFE for medicals
    3/7 Sent RFE
    3/14 Got EAD
    4/9 Got green card

Land PoE's handle immigrant visas just fine

Comment

Originally posted by sandeep.iiit View Post
      Do "land" port of entries handle immigration visas?

I understand that at airports, the authorities knows how to handle these and they put an I-551 stamp (temporary green card) on the passport. Would this work the same way at a land port of entry? (like entry from Canada through Blaine, Washington).

My friend is immigrating from Poland. She just got an immigration visa through "Consular Processing" of her family-based green card application. Her flight goes from Warsaw, Poland to Frankfurt, Germany to Seattle, USA to Vancouver, Canada. She booked her flights to Canada as that was significantly cheaper than the one ending at Seattle, WA. She plans to drive back from Canada to USA through Blaine, WA.

So these are the two main question that worry her:
      1. Would she have to go through CBP at Seattle Airport or will that happen when she cross from Canada to US via Blaine?
      2. Does Blaine port of entry (or any land entry port for that matter) handle immigration visas and puts the I-551 stamp?
      Hmm....you might have a small issue (and opportunity) here.
      Seattle will be treated as a transit point - and in the US, that means a passport/visa control process. Hence, the IV on your friend's passport comes into play right away!
      Why not just look for a termination at some other point wtihin the US, if the whole idea is to save on flight fares (assuming it's even worthwhile - given the key objective of the whole journey is to enter the USA!). Is it any cheaper to rent a car on a 1-way drive from Canada back to the US?!!

Given that bags have to be collected and checked back in @ SEA (if she proceeds onward to Canada), why not just grab the bags, go thru customs and skip out of the door into beautiful US of A? Just a thought....Airlines dont like such things, and worse, the trip is not a joyride - it's about entering the US on an IV! I'd not worry about the cost of the flight ticket here.... But then that's just me!

Good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X