Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Original" of Electronically Filed Taxes?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Original" of Electronically Filed Taxes?!

Hi all,

I am in the "complete application by courier" stage, also known as the 221(g) worksheet. This means I have already had my consular interview, and was asked to provide some documents via courier service.

I've had no luck getting clarification from the consulate on what qualifies as an "original" of an electronically filed tax return. I was asked to provide this to complete my visa application process, but unlike the days of paper returns, electronic returns don't have an original.

My sponsor uses H&R Block to file her taxes. From HRBlock.com, I am able to download a PDF of the tax return. This PDF is watermarked "Copy Only - Do Not File" in order to prevent double-filing by confused people. Otherwise, it contains all the information a hard copy 1040 would.

Does anyone have experience/stories/lessons learned about submitting printouts of electronically filed tax returns?

Thanks!

Originally posted by somanyquestions View Post
    Hi all,

I am in the "complete application by courier" stage, also known as the 221(g) worksheet. This means I have already had my consular interview, and was asked to provide some documents via courier service.

I've had no luck getting clarification from the consulate on what qualifies as an "original" of an electronically filed tax return. I was asked to provide this to complete my visa application process, but unlike the days of paper returns, electronic returns don't have an original.

My sponsor uses H&R Block to file her taxes. From HRBlock.com, I am able to download a PDF of the tax return. This PDF is watermarked "Copy Only - Do Not File" in order to prevent double-filing by confused people. Otherwise, it contains all the information a hard copy 1040 would.

Does anyone have experience/stories/lessons learned about submitting printouts of electronically filed tax returns?

Thanks!
    If you speak to the IRS they'll get you whats called a "transcript". But I know for a fact that USCIS would not accept that. The only option I can give you is to go to a place that files income tax have them do your joint sponsors taxes but of course not really send them to the IRS.

Comment

What you have is the "original".

In addition to that PDF file, you should have also received the proof from IRS that your tax return was filed and accepted. It is one page confirmation. Usually, CPAs and other tax preparers who file your tax return would provide that to you.

In any case, no one really has the actual "original" because that would have already been sent to IRS. Everyone would have copies only.
      Immihelp Support
      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X