Experience of a Canadian EB-2 & Montreal Processing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience of a Canadian EB-2 & Montreal Processing

First I want to say how extremely frustrating it is to research employment based “green card immigration” as most sites and forums seem to cater to green card immigration through marriage (particularly American guys marrying British women : )

My wife and I are both professionals however our case was based on my credentials under the extrornary ability category (EB-2.) We have been living in the United States for 4 years in both TN and H-1B status. We elected consular processing as we were both born in Canada and heard that we could shave a year off the application.

Here is the timetable of processing:

May 2002 I-140 submitted EB-2 does not require labor certification
    April 2002 Package 2 and fee’s collected
    June 2nd 2003 receive package 3 from NVC
    June 6th Drive to Ontario boarder town for police certificates
    June 9th Submitted package 3
    August 27th 2003 receive package 4 from NVC
    August 29th 2003 medical interview in Toronto
    September 29th 2003 interview set at Montreal consulate

Some tips regarding package three and four:

1.) Canadian police certificates. This was the most convoluted parts of the application. One needs to submit a police a certificate and two kinds exist in Canada A.) fingerprint based and B.) non finger print based. The finger print based application can take up to 4 months as Canadian buercracy means it must be processed in Ottawa. Non-finger print certificates are accepted in NVC and can be had by visiting any RCMP detachment during business hours. NVC really pushes one to go the “mail Ottawa - wait 4 months route “ however it is WELL worth it to drive up to a boarder town as waiting and holding up package 3 seems insane. Alternatively you could be proactive and apply a few months before you expect package 3 – however this is a gamble as the certificates are only good for one year.

2.) Montreal processing requires a medical examination by a certified doctor in Canada. INS doctors in US cannot be used. Frustrating if you are H1-B and live in the US. Also be prepared to carry your chest x-ray to the interview –not sure why but they like you to have it.

3.) Also for package 4 - if you live in the United States be very careful how your pictures are taken. Unless you live in New York or a high immigrant center the passport photographers will not know how to take a proper ADIT photograph. I cannot tell you the fighting I had with the guy who took my picture – he totally blew off the rules and my head was too large. I made him retake the pics and thankfully so, as the boarder person had his ruler out and measured. My advice is to bring a ruler to your photo session – have them expose 2 pictures – then measure – and expose two more and then measure. A good rule of thumb is to have them stand back one step where they normally take a passport photo. Ear and 3/4 ADIT profile a must.

Montreal Experience

I’ve read many experiences of being processed through Montreal and have to say the rules and procedures have changed. The NVC package 2 collects all fees via US money order and Package three collects most of the evidence. Beyond ones medical report, recent tax information, and passports the consulate seems to have all the evidence they need to process ones visa. It was total overkill for us to bring tax statements from 2000 and 2001, bank balance statements, and even wedding photographs as one thread suggested (we’ve been married for 5 years). A caveat however - our experience applies to Montreal processing and EB-2 – your green card application may have different rules. I was told by the consulate that they do support the new procedures as NVC prep work makes everyone’s job easier.

The actual visit to the consulate was fairly painless. Appointments for these visas seem to be at 8:30AM and it is critical for one to arrive at least 45 minutes prior as it is first come first serve. We found the office to be very efficient and well run and efficient. Ensure you have your passports and appointment letter ready, as you will need to show this to at least 4 different people before you hit the first interview window.

Our other tips while at the consulate

- Do not bring electronic items including cell phones as they will not be allowed on the 19th floor
    - Bring a newspaper or book as the wait can be a little long
    - Don’t over dress – and wear comfortable shoes. I saw a guy who looked very uncomfortable wearing tight dress shoes and a tie. Being comfortable, calm and prepared seems more important than looking like you are going for a job interview.

Once searched we were sent up to the 19 floor and to a specific window. At that window we were given a number (you’re number for the day) and waited for the first document review. The first document review confirms who is with you at the interview, your identity and that you have submitted all the documents. They asked us for our 2002 tax returns at this stage. After going to our first window we waited about 20 minutes for the actually interview. The interview was straight forward – oath and a few questions. The woman who interviewed us was apologetic about the delays and said she would get us out quickly. Within a half hour we were called to the final window, received the visa and were handed two sealed envelopes. The whole consulate process took an hour and a half.

We decided to drive to Toronto and go through Buffalo crossing for our I-551 stamp and paperwork submittal. Boarder processing was the longest part of the whole process, taking over two hours as we must have had a new person processing us. He told us that the cards could take 10 mouths to print and to be patient (I’ve heard that thanks to system improvements people are seeing cards within a month). The day after I went to the social security office and filed for the restrictions to be removed of our cards using the SS-5 forms. Also informed employer and filled out an I-9 form.

A year and a half over a thousand dollars worth of fees, three trips to Canada and tons of stress but we have our I-551 stamps and green card I can say very much worth it!

Thanks pepper300 for this much information! It is great to see such details especially since there is little information from the net about consular processing in Montreal.

I have a question for pepper300: did NVC give u any trouble in accepting name check police certificate? I assume you are currently resident of the states.

My case should be similar, I lived in Canada before coming to the states a few years ago. I obtained I-140 approval in July '03 and opted for consular processing. I did finger print and submit the PCC request to RCMP Ottawa right after getting I-140 approval (which now I realized having done too late) . Now it takes more than 5 months for RCMP to process the cases. But my attorney refused to accept name check certificate, and said that name check one is only valid for current residents of Canada. Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks!
    -Matt

Comment

Thank you VERY much "pepper300" for sharing extremely valuable information.

I just mailed the fees to NVC and also sent request to RCMP for PC. But it would take 5 months for the PC (just frustrating)!!

Can you please elaborate the experience on "Non-finger print certificate" Such as,
      - What happend when you personally visit RCMP?
      - How long did it take to receive the certificate?
      - What was the reaction/questions asked by NVC regarding PC?
      - Do you MUST submitt PC with packet-3 or you can submit it at the time of interview?

Also in general, what are the questions NVC was asking during interview and along the processing.

Thanks again for sharing the experience/info/tips.

-dallas2002

Comment

5 months – wow ! Canadian bureaucracy at its best. I just get angry when I think of how this delay has caused people grief.

Tell your lawyer that if you are on H1-B you technically are not a resident of the United States – full stop. Yes you may not be technically a resident of Canada – however you are only visiting the United Sates on H1-B and have absolutely no resident privileges. Correct?

If you were born in Canada – last residence was in Canada – NVC seems to accept the NFP certificate without a hitch. No matter where in the United States you live it would be worth it to fly or drive up and have this done at an RCMP detachment. Remember to have your old address handy – and this address should match exactly to the DS-230 form as your last address.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Non-finger print police certificate

Pepper300:
          I have the Canadian citizenship through naturalization, my last residence was in Canada and currently on H1. Under this circumstance do you see any issue from NVC on "non-finger print" certificate?

I am wondering, once I fly to canada visiting RCMP, how soon RCMP will deliver me the police report. Can I get the report from RCMP on the same day, or how long would it take??

Thanks

Comment

( this not not legal advice - and is about Montreal proccessing only )

This is what I would do:

1.) Get finger printed in the US and FEDEX up to Ottawa your application.

2.) If it is not to much trouble I would drive up to the nearest RCMP detachment and get the NFP report.

3.) I would submit NFP report to NVC and see what happens - making sure last known address matches RCMP report and DS-230

The bottom line is that NVC revues everything before it gets sent to Montreal (to avoid having people turned away at the last stage)

I know this true - becuase I had sent in my birth certificate with package 3 - which was not the long form version. NVC mailed me back three weeks later and told me to submit a LONGFORM birth record. I was born in a province that is small - it took 3 days via fedex and I re-submittted. NVC was happy.

You have nothing to loose by hedging your bets this way - as even if NVC ok's it and Montreal complains - you can pulll out the FP version... The bottom line is that you want to avoid 5 months delays at package three stage !!!!!

Comment

But how much time it is required to get NFP report?

Thanks

Comment

Re: Non-finger print police certificate

It's the same day you will get this, if not just about 20 minutes waiting in the local police station.

Good luck to you!

I will wait to see what my attorney will say...

Comment

Your comment

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  First I want to say how extremely frustrating it is to research employment based “green card immigration” as most sites and forums seem to cater to green card immigration through marriage (particularly American guys marrying British women : )
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did you not find the information on our website helpful? I believe that we have lot of information on each stage of employment based greencard on this website.
                  Immihelp Support
                  No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Pepper300:
                    Why was the medical in Canada (by INS authorized Canadian physicians) frustrating if you are H1-B and live in the US?
                    Thanks

Comment

reply to dallas and admin

Reply to Dallas2002:

It was frustrating exactly for that reason – we are in the United States – and had to travel 700 miles for a medical examination, spend two days traveling and take an entire work day off, when an authorized INS physician was 3 miles from our home. Yes - that is a bit frustrating – don’t you agree ?

NVC should have a rule for consular processing of applicants currently on H1-B status that would allow examinations to be conducted in the united states by a board certified INS physician.

Reply to the Administrator:

Your site is very helpful and my opening comments where meant as a complement to you. Please do not see it as anything else.

Over the weekend I plan on starting a new thread on the RCMP police record process as well as a suggestion to expedite long form birth certificates if you live in Ontario. Ontario vital statistics department is in utter chaos – massive delays, lost files and changing rules daily. The expiated route can take up to one month and we found a private company that will wait in line at a V.S. office (the only “same day “ office in Ontario) will file on your behalf and FedEx that day. We were told that the person doing our Long Form application waited in line at 6:30 AM – was seen by 10:00 AM and did not get out of the office until 11:30 AM– well worth the 100 dollars for us. Beyond being ‘told’ about the delays we have seen several media reports in the Canadian press of people camping out at this office –therefore we know our money was well spent.

Comment

reply to dallas and admin

I misunderstood and was thinking the frustration caused by the canadian physician or medical procedure. I agree with your opinion of frustration regarding 700 miles travel for medical that can be done next door.
                        But delay caused b RCMP is just unbearable.
                        Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

the "real delay" may be Canada.

In a couple years I see months being shaved off the entire NVC proccess as electronic filing of applications comes into place, IRS info is shared and more procedures are streamlined.

The RCMP finger print proccess ironcilly will stand out as the biggest delay for CP applicants as Ottawa has nothing planned to fix this problem and 5-6 months waits will surely become 12 months waits by 2004-5.

Comment

The "real delay" may be Canada.

Actually you're absolutely right. I happened to talk to one of RCMP ladies over the phone today. She said they now receive more than 30,000 applications every month (the month of August >40,000). And they only process 15,000 per month. Do a little math, we can predict how the delay 'll be in a few months.

Comment

Non fingerprint certificate

Would appreciate your advice Re:
                              Name check only - non-fingerprint based certificates:
                              What is the name for this process/ Procedure and what is the form used by the RCMP
                              Re your advice:
                              Making sure last known address matches RCMP report and DS-230. Where should this address be?

DS-230 Part I #10 and 11 are for addresses in the united states. # 13 is Present Address. Should this be Canadaian address last known address?

DS-230 Part 2 # 29 is Name and address of the Petitioner should this be the Canadian address last known address?

Or is this meant to be on the DS-230 Part I #20 List all the places you lived since the age 16

Greatly appreciate your answer.
                              I would like to commend you on your detailed information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X