Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting married AFTER sending Visa Packet III

Hi,

My case is at the Mumbai Consulate and I need to send Visa Packet III to them in order to request an interview. The packet essentially means sending DS-230 Part 1 form. I am a single now, but will get married in July in India.

In order to save time, can I just send Visa Packet III forms mentioning that I am a "single" (marital status) right now and then take my wife for the interview directly whenever it happens ?. If I send Visa PAcket III by mid June, I will get the interview by August end/September. I plan to go to India meanwhile, get married and bring my wife on H4. And then go back for the interview.

OR, is it advisable that I should get married first and then send Visa Packet III forms mentioning that my marital status is "married" and proceed ?

Has anyone done this kind of thing ?

thanks,
    Swagho

Re: Getting married AFTER sending Visa Packet III

The consulate needs to know that you are married as soon as possible after the marriage. The reason is that they need to order a visa number for the spouse. If you just show up at the interview, announcing that you are married, the spouse can only do "follow to join", which takes a couple of months because they have to get a visa number. Your spouse of course wouldn't be able to go back with you, since her H4 is dependent on your H1, which you don't have anymore at that point.
    It doesn't really matter when you send in the Packet 3, before or after marriage. You just have to let the consulate know once you are married.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X