Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumbai CP - time outside consulate

Hi All,

This forum is really great. I think I know much more than my law firm. Probably I should start practising immigration law (:->.

This question is for guys going to Mumbai for CP. How early is one expected to arrive at the mumbai consulate. When I have gone for H-1b stamping, I had to be there at 5.30 am and what !!! 45 persons before me(most of them non immigrant). Is Sailing permit really required. Because I had gone out twice to India and came back. I never took Sailing permit. IS this something required when going for CP only. My lawyer asked me to contact my Tax consultant.

Is there a separate line for Immigrant Visa.

Second, usually Mumbai consulate post the interview dates in the middle of the month for the next month. If you are having interview in the first half of the month, you will have very little time to book your air tickets and rush to Mumbai. Does anyone have any views in this.

I have noticed that most of CP interviews are scheduled for later half of the month. Does anyone see any trend here?

Last but not the least, my I-94 has expired, but my visa is valid till June 2001. When I approached INS here in Atlanta, the immigration officer said that they cannot issue I-94 and this is fine. I can get one when I enter the country after going out. But I had read somewhere that staying on expired I-94 for more than 90 days constitutes illegal Status. Someone pease clarify this.

I wish Good Luck to all CP candidates for this month. Please post your experiences\views after coming back.

Thanks.

VFP.

I am not sure about Mumbai but looking at Chennai consulate's schedule, I cannot but help noticing that the E1/E2/E3 category CPs are being scheduled from around the 20th of the month onwards.

Comment

vfpeter,

By looking at my appointment letter from packet 4, sailing permit and or tax info is not required.

If you put US address on OF forms, they will schedule you as late as possible in a month. This way you have nearly one month to schedule your trip, medical exams etc..

From what i have heard, there is a seperate line for IV interview-ers.

My I-94 has also expired [april] and I have a valid H-1B extension [not multiple visa]. It should be fine as long as one shows the proper papers to a consul.

I will try my best to post my experience on AUG26 by 10 PM [India time].

Comment

Rockstar,

I have read that separate line is for Chennai Consulate , but Mumbai has the same line.

To be on the safe side, carry your tax returns for last 3 years if available.

Do you directly get packet IV from the consulate after you get case number from them (ofcourse after 2-3 months) ?

Did you receive any other correspondence from the consulate or your lawyer?

(:-) Humor : When I asked my paralegal about Sailing permit,she asked me that did I asked this question because, I was going to travel via Ship. (U R right !!!)

Bottom line always confirm ambiguity issues with the attorney itself.

vfPeter

Comment

the packet 4 came from the consulate. No other correspondance.

Comment

thanks Rockstar.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X