Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.s citizen trying to sponsor Filipino Parent and His New Family Altogether

Hello Everyone,

I live in New York and I am going to file a petition for my Father who is in the Philippines. My Legal parents are divorced and my Dad now has a new family now. He got remarried and I have a 7 year old step brother. My question is that, if I sponsor/petition my father to come here the U.S, is it possible or is it true that my step mom and my step brother will be automatically carried with my dad's petition process? if not, what are the possible options in order for the three of them to petitioned at the same time?

I haven't consulted an immigration lawyer yet and I'm trying to get some answers from here for now. I would really appreciate if you can include a safe and accurate link (website from USCIS for example) about my concerns.

Thank you so much!! Have a great day and God Bless!

- Rhox F.

You are a US citizen at least 21 years of age, right?

Originally posted by Rhox F. View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I live in New York and I am going to file a petition for my Father who is in the Philippines. My Legal parents are divorced and my Dad now has a new family now. He got remarried and I have a 7 year old step brother. My question is that, if I sponsor/petition my father to come here the U.S, is it possible or is it true that my step mom and my step brother will be automatically carried with my dad's petition process?
    no

if not, what are the possible options in order for the three of them to petitioned at the same time?
    If your father and stepmother married before you turned 18, you can separately petition your stepmother. If not, you can't petition her; your father can petition her immediately once he enters the US (but then it will be as the spouse of a permanent resident, in the F2A category, with a wait for visa numbers of around 2 years).

You stepbrother will also need to be either petitioned by your father once he enters the US (as the unmarried under-21 child of a permanent resident, in the F2A category, which again has a wait for visa numbers of around 2 years), or immigrate as the derivative beneficiary of your stepmother if she is being petitioned by your father (in which case the stepbrother would not need to be petitioned separately).
    Last edited by newacct; 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

U.s citizen trying to sponsor Filipino Parent and His New Family Altogether

Yes I am a U.S citizen and I am 27 years old. My Dad and step mom got married last January 2018. And thank you so much for your response. At least I have an idea about the process even though it's just your opinion. However, your opinion makes sense and the process is somewhat possible.

I have another question if you don't mind. If ever I have successfully petitioned my father and he became a permanent resident, are they going to require my father to submit proof of income that will prove that he is capable of sponsoring my step brother and step mother? Because I'm afraid that my dad will not be able to have enough income to provide just incase. Or is there an option that I can be one of the sponsors to support my dads petition for my step mom and step brother?

lastly, is it also practical to have an immigration lawyer to help me process the petition for my father?

Thank you so much!

Comment

Yes I am a U.S citizen and I am 27 years old. My Dad and step mom got married last January 2018. And thank you so much for your response. At least I have an idea about the process even though it's just your opinion. However, your opinion makes sense and the process is somewhat possible.

I have another question if you don't mind. If ever I have successfully petitioned my father and he became a permanent resident, are they going to require my father to submit proof of income that will prove that he is capable of sponsoring my step brother and step mother? Because I'm afraid that my dad will not be able to have enough income to provide just incase. Or is there an option that I can be one of the sponsors to support my dads petition for my step mom and step brother?

lastly, is it also practical to have an immigration lawyer to help me process the petition for my father?

Thank you so much!
        Yes, he will be asked to provide the income proof, but he can always get a joint sponsor, like you (just like you outlined in your question). Petitioning for your father is pretty straight forward, and unless there are complications with your individual case, it is just filling forms. Going through this forum you will see typical Q & A related to this topic, so you do not really need an attorney.
        Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
          Yes, he will be asked to provide the income proof, but he can always get a joint sponsor, like you (just like you outlined in your question). Petitioning for your father is pretty straight forward, and unless there are complications with your individual case, it is just filling forms. Going through this forum you will see typical Q & A related to this topic, so you do not really need an attorney.

Thank you so much for taking time to answer all my questions. Your opinions are all very helpful and informative. I really appreciate it! I will definitely check out more Q & A's related to this topic. again, thank you so much! God bless!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X