Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCT CP Experience - Chennai

The following is my CP experience @ Chennai and @ Newark

Medical Exam: Went to Dr. Usha Sriram. She is not available on weekends. It was a pleasant experience. She is scheduled to be available M-F after 12 PM. But she usually comes in around 1PM. Please make sure that they have the vaccines with them. I had to wait for over 2 hrs until they went and bough the vaccines. The doctor herself is a very sweet and nice lady. She said that she used to work in Chicago. I had not taken my vaccination records as other users had mentioned that Surima does not accept such records. Dr. Sriram had no such hangups. I had to retake my vaccination only because I had no records with me. She is quite a pleasing lady. EVK hospital is on close to Hotel President and is about 10 minutes from the consulate.

I heard from other applicants that Surima is extra couteous these days.

Photos: Premier studios is closed for construction for a month. Apollo color lab is the other choice for immigration photos. The right side face and ear needs to be visible and you need to tell the studio that. They were not sure about which side - left or right. They are located on Nungambakkam High road close to Good Shepherd School. It is close to Lister medicals. You could proably finish the tests and go do your photos.

Visa Interview:

Appointment was at 8 AM. They start collecting the paperwork at around 8.45 so even if you get in around 8.30 it is time well saved. There was no que. I went in at 8. I had some chocklates with me. The security had no problem. I guess it depends on who the security is too. At 10.30 a fellow Indian consulate staff called me and enquired about how I was in US when all my visas had expired. I gave him my parole. Then he was concerned about something on my employment letter and the some paper (could hav been the LC) he had with him. He was pointing to something on both to a lady - who I presume was a visa officer. I could not hear what transpired but she just nodded her head and walked off. I asked this man whether there was any problem. He replied that he felt so but it was upto somebody else to decide. He then asked me the name of the person who had signed my emplyment letter. Then, he asked me what his title was a year ago. I gave him my anwers and also told him that I had been with the same firm for 6 years and a half. I presume that he was concerned that the person who had signed my GC application had a differnt title on my employment letter. He gave back our bank statements and tax papers except the most recent one. My wife's employment letter was also returned as it was not relevant to our case. He asked us to wait and suggested that we would be called again. This was @ 10.45 AM.

Please be aware that at times, your conversation @ the counter is audible over the public address system to every applicant who is waiting.

At 1.40 PM they started calling all waiting IV applicants again. I was the third one to be called. The same person who spoke to me in the morning returned my parole and asked us to pay the visa issuance fee and collect the visa at 4PM.

We were out @ 2 PM.

They allow u into the consulate between 4 and 4.30 to collect the visa. You have to show the payment receipt to be let in. From my conversation, with earlier applicants, I gathered that they are ready for collection only @ 5.45 PM. So please make your travel plans accordingly.

Please verify that the information (name, DOB, PP No) on the IVisa is correct before you leave. If it needs to be rectified, it will happen only on the next working Tue-Fri.

Port Of Entry:

I entered at Newark. The fingerprint and signature is a 5 minute job. We were assigned A nos. They were different than the ones which we got when we filed for AOS. We had to wait for 1 hr. INS officers don't seem to like being asked questions. Infact they don't seem to like even being spoken to. The only time they speak to you is when they want to ask you a question. I saw several cases when somebody tried to approach an officer, they were asked to wait and remain seated until called for.

I would like to narrate something which happened while I was waiting inside the INS office @ Newark.

Even before we entered @ 5PM there were a few CP applicants waiting. Among them was I presume a teenage guy - probably from the Check republic. He had a connecting flight to catch at 7PM. God knows how long he was waiting before that. Subsequently, every five minutes a lady would walk over and pile up more such papers over this guy's paperwork. Over a period of time, this pile grew to nearly 25 in number. At around 5.30 this guy who was waiting got so annoyed that he got up and asked this lady why she was piling up paperwork of applicants who had come in late on top of his paperwork and in the process delaying him even more. Her reply was that she knew what she was doing and she din't need any input from him. This guy was finally called by the IO at around 6PM and this guy mentioned the same thing to him. I could hear the IO saying that for some parties you have to wait and getting into the United States was not a joke. He also told him that he really din't care how long he waited or whether he got in or not. When this guy finally left after getting the stamp it was @ 6PM and we left shortly thereafter.

OCT CP Experience - Chennai

Hi secry,

First of all, Congratulations!

How did you happen to have AP, and still could do CP ( I believe it is not ACP)? Did you do LC, I-140 all over again, and this time selected CP?

I am asking this question because, my case looks similar. It is a great relief to know that prior AOS application is not a problem. Looks like no explanations are needed.

Thanks,

Comment

AOS & CP

I have explained my situation in earlier posts.

All the same, I was not aware of CP until my 485 was filed. Subsequently I filed and received Parole and EAD. Thereafter, I came to know about CP and filed an I824 petition. I was anticipating an interview in May/June 2000 or so. My final H1 extension was expiring in June 2000.

When I checked my status in March 2000, I learnt that it was overlooked and VSC finally transferred it to NSC 3 months later. Then it went to Chennai. Chennai did not have any problems with my situation.

Though, I had similar concerns doing AOS and CP parallely, my lawyer suggested that we have no concern unless INS asks us to withdraw/cancel the AOS application when the I824 is received. In my case INS did not ask us to withdraw/cancel the AOS application.

Over and above, I guess things depend on how the person reviewing your case interprets your situation.

MY opinion is that doing CP with a pending AOS application should be no cause for concern.

Comment

Thank you secry!

In my eagerness to ask the question, I didn't check your prior postings. Thank you for repeating the same.

Comment

medical checkup question

Hello secry: for ur medical checkup, did u take the shots here in US or u took them in India. If u took them in US, what proof did u take with u?

Thanks
          Ravi

Comment

Re: medical checkup question

I had to redo my shots in India as I did not carry my vaccination record from the INS certified doctor who performed my medicals for 485. It is a piece of paper which mentions which shot was taken when and also provides information about the doctor. The doctor need not be INS certified to give you shots. As long as you carry this record, any sane doctor should accept it and avoid redoing your shots. Even if you do not have it in the standard format a letter should suffice.

The consulate approved doctor will transfer this information to a form he/she will fill out - which will be in the required format.

Hope this clarifies your question.

Comment

Interview date

Secry: which day was ur interview.

Thanks
              Ravi

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...