Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consular processing from UK

Hi ya!

Please can you possibly assist me to clear this slight confusion. I am currently working for a British company here in New York City, that is REUTERS. I have been working in the Reuters US office here in NYC for about 6+ years now and at the moment, my company is in the process of applying for the Green Card for me to adjust to permanent residency from my current H1-B status - my H1-B has thus been extended due to the 6 years time limit expiration. However, we are still working on the DOL part to receive an approved department of labor certification form. We have not reached the stage to submit the form for the I-140, etc, etc...

However, though I was born in Sierra Leone and hold a Sierra Leonean passport my permanent residency is in the UK. I have permanent residency in the UK also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain. My family all live in London and I plan to relocate to the London Reuters office from NYC by May 2008. By that time I expect to hopefully have the I-140 approved document in my possession. I will still continue to work for Reuters but in London instead whilst my application for the Green Card is pending... I know that it's possible to go through Consular Processing which is a lot faster. However, I am unable to go back to Sierra Leone, and besides I will still continue to work for Reuters but in the London headquarters instead. Thus, I have to send the final application level (that is for the final step for the I-485 level) documents to the US Consulate in London since I have official residency in the UK and will be working in the London office for my present green card sponsoring company, Reuters . I will have to complete the final steps whilst working and living in London. Is this possible. I know I have been told you can go to any US Consulate abroad, but are there any restrictions. I have always been able to apply for US non-immigrant visas at the US Consulate in London even when I didn't have UK permanent residency yet, it was never a problem, I just went for an interview.

But, as a Sierra Leonean citizen holding UK permanent residency or Indefinite Leave to Remain, whilst working for the sponsoring company, Reuters, in London - is it possible for me to submit the final documents for the green card/immigrant application to complete the final step that is the I-485 level, to the US Consulate in London instead of the US Consulate in Sierra Leone ?

Thanks so much.

Your feedback will be much appreciated - you know how confusing it can be.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Yes, you can do consular processing in London, UK.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X