• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consular Interview and Unauthorized Work

Hello!
    I have a question regarding Consular Processing. Here's the background:

Year 2008: received L2 status.
    Beginning of 2009: Started working with company without EAD (I was told by agent that prepared L Visa forms that this was ok and that I only needed to show copy of the visa to my employer since Social Security states that L2 don't need EAD to work. I did as was told and employer accepted L2 visa stamp) This company is a huge multinational US company.
    Mid 2009: Received EAD, kept working for same company
    End 2009: L status renewed at home country, came back to USA and kept working for same company
    Mid 2011: Surrended L status at home country BEFORE visa expiration date, and have lived in home country ever since
    2015: B1/B2 visa renewal at home country
    Year 2019: Labor Certification and I-140 approved, waiting for NVC
    2011-2019: Have traveled every year to US on B1/B2 visa on vacations and never had any issues

I have asked around and have learned that since I departed the USA myself and I have entered several times with another non immigrant visa and have not committed any immigration violations since last entry/ies, that my 2009 working without EAD violation will be forgiven by CO. I have my I-140 approved and that is the only issue that's making me nervous to attend interview

1- Do I need to say "yes" when filling DS260 (have you ever violated the terms of a visa?)
    2- How would answering "yes" or "no" will affect the outcome of the interview
    3-Also, when I renewed B1/B2 I answered "no" when asked if I violated terms of a visa (did so truthfully, only after starting with LC/I-140 I came to know that I did violate the terms when I worked without EAD), but I did disclose all my jobs in the last 10 years. Will they say that I misrepresented myself?

I appreciate any help in answering this, since there is little info online on consular processing, almost everything is for AOS

Regards,

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X