Didn't surrender Indian passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't surrender Indian passport

My wife was an Indian citizen and became naturalized in the U.S. at the age of 12 when her parents obtained U.S. citizenship. We are trying to apply for Indian visas on our U.S. passports but she's run into some problems.

Because she was 12 when she was naturalized, she never received any naturalization papers or a certificate stating she renounced her Indian citizenship. She submitted the necessary renunciation paperwork and her old Indian passport along with her visa application.

Just a few days ago, we opened our mailbox to find that everything she had submitted for her visa application was returned to us by BLS International (the company India outsourced their visa handling to). The only information we have is a small note scribbled on the application that says, "$250 penalty. Didn't cancel Indian passport within 3 years of naturalization. See website" That's all we have to go on. They didn't call, they didn't email, they just mailed it back with a little note.

We've called over 20 times and not once have they picked up the phone. It seems ridiculous that we should be penalized because a 12 year old didn't surrender her passport. We're leaving for India on Dec 24th so I'd just send everything back with an additional $250 money order if I knew that would work, but I'm hesitant to do that without confirming with someone at BLS that that is all that is required. I've also considered driving down to Chicago (we're in WI), but the "Appointment" link on the BLS website only lets you reschedule or cancel an appointment, not make one. I'd call to make an appointment but, again, they never answer the phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with BLS or anything else we can do in this situation?

-Thanks

If you are dealing with a private entity (BLS), I would question whether the $250 requirement is an India government requirement for your wife getting a visa to India or a BLS interpretation of your wife's action or "failure to take action" when she was 12 years old.

If you wife needs a visa to return to India, and you don't have the visa, you seem to have no choice but to meet the BLS request, or find another entity (India government or third-party visa agency) to assist in getting the visa.

I'm not speaking from direct experience with obtaining India visas or BLS, but the difficulty you describe in getting a return visa hasn't come up with any naturalized U.S. citizens from scores of other countries when returning to their countries with U.S. passport, or with dual citizenship.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Fatal_Flaw View Post
    My wife was an Indian citizen and became naturalized in the U.S. at the age of 12 when her parents obtained U.S. citizenship. We are trying to apply for Indian visas on our U.S. passports but she's run into some problems.

Because she was 12 when she was naturalized, she never received any naturalization papers or a certificate stating she renounced her Indian citizenship. She submitted the necessary renunciation paperwork and her old Indian passport along with her visa application.

Just a few days ago, we opened our mailbox to find that everything she had submitted for her visa application was returned to us by BLS International (the company India outsourced their visa handling to). The only information we have is a small note scribbled on the application that says, "$250 penalty. Didn't cancel Indian passport within 3 years of naturalization. See website" That's all we have to go on. They didn't call, they didn't email, they just mailed it back with a little note.

We've called over 20 times and not once have they picked up the phone. It seems ridiculous that we should be penalized because a 12 year old didn't surrender her passport. We're leaving for India on Dec 24th so I'd just send everything back with an additional $250 money order if I knew that would work, but I'm hesitant to do that without confirming with someone at BLS that that is all that is required. I've also considered driving down to Chicago (we're in WI), but the "Appointment" link on the BLS website only lets you reschedule or cancel an appointment, not make one. I'd call to make an appointment but, again, they never answer the phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with BLS or anything else we can do in this situation?

-Thanks

Comment

She likely naturalised before 2010, and her last Indian passport likely expired before January 1 2005, so she should not have to pay $250 but getting those &^#*@&# to understand these nuances is practically impossible. It also seems that BLS is much worse than Travisa. Go in person and explain this.

Comment

Originally posted by cafeconleche View Post
        She likely naturalised before 2010, and her last Indian passport likely expired before January 1 2005, so she should not have to pay $250 but getting those &^#*@&# to understand these nuances is practically impossible. It also seems that BLS is much worse than Travisa. Go in person and explain this.
        We actually just scheduled an appointment for this Friday. It sucks to make a 3 hour drive and take a day off work because they suck at their job, but with only a little more than a month before we leave for India, we can't afford to have any other problems. Next time a need a visa, I'll just pay a service to take care of everything for me. This entire process has been a nightmare.

Comment

If you have time in India (a couple of months), she can apply for OCI there.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X