Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO Card/My Experience and Suggestions

All,

I just received my completed PIO card. I see lots of confusion and issues from people, but I had a relatively good and easy experience. Maybe I got lucky, but I have a few suggestions for people applying for PIO or even OCI (as the process is very similar).

Drop-Off
    BLS Center: Washington DC
    PIO Submit Date: 3/24/14
    PIO Received: 4/4/14
    DISCLAIMER: From all accounts, it is not as timely for most people. I think since it is processed at the Indian Embassy in DC, it may have been quicker for me. Average time for PIO is apparently 4 weeks.

The most difficult part is figuring out what you need and getting the needed documents. Please give the preliminary investigation process at least one weekend, if not more. The checklist and sample form should be read in careful detail. It is very confusing.

Needed documents:

It really varies based on your situation, but read the BLS site's checklist. Sometimes it seems the requested documents contradict (e.g. one bullet could say you need a naturalization certificate, another could say no). In these situations make sure to assume you need the document!

Be sure to get color copies. They prefer it. Also they say to submit two copies of everything. Do this to be safe and let them tell you if you don't need to.

Passport photos. you need 4 total. one for each copy of your BLS application form. these need to be glued or taped in the box. and two extras

Physical passport. They need it during the entire process. So be sure you do not need your passport while the application is processing.

Renunciation: Applies to those that were previously Indian nationals. Read this section carefully as you most likely will have to do some form of renunciation and it does cost extra (renunciation fee plus another 7.50 BLS processing fee).

BLS Order Form: This is very confusing. Be sure to select the correct payments and schedule a drop-off appointment afterwards. In terms of the airbill number, the options are confusing too. Basically buy your own pre-paid FedEx label so they can mail your passport and pio card back to you. Enter the transaction (airbill) number on the BLS order form.

Drop-Off: This is key. I highly recommend dropping off your application, as they will look through it and make sure you have all the needed documents before they accept it. Many times people forget a document or misinterpret what is needed. If you mail-in, your chances of rejection are higher. DC office is near union station metro. Come early to your appointment and be sure to tell the lady at the front desk you are there for pio or oci. Afterwards go directly to the pio or oci desk. Do NOT wait for them to call your name. They call up those in need of visas. For OCI and PIO, they have their own lines. Line 7 and 8, respectively, which do not require waiting to be called. Try to schedule an early AM appointment. They break for lunch around 1 or 2pm so you want to not schedule an appointment right before. It took me about 2 hours at the BLS office. If you have any additional documents you need to get (I had to get my mother's naturalization certificate, bc I had a unique circumstance) make sure to get the PIO departments phone number or email address. They allowed me to scan and email my missing document to them directly, so I did not have to come back into the office.

Finally, be nice to the people that work there! Sure BLS International is not organized and has lots of issues, but that's the fault of the employees working at the drop-off locations. I saw so many people yelling at them, and I hate to generalize but it really is this "Indian-let me get mad to get my way" mentality that needs to go. The people that work there probably realize the BLS process sucks but it's their job. Just be very nice and courteous to the people that help you, and you'll find that they will show the same in return.

Keep your receipt. It is used to track the application status. They will mail it to the Indian Embassy in DC, the Embassy will process it and mail it back to you.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X