Minor OCI CARD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor OCI CARD

I am 17 years old and I am a U.S Citizen by birth. My father is an Indian citizen and my mother is a U.S citizen by naturalization.
    We live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I want to apply for OCI Card, so I went to the Indian embassy, Riyadh. There the person who is responsible for issuing and processing OCI Card told us that I can only apply for OCI Card when I will become 21 years old but the rules say something else

Any foreign national

who was eligible to become a citizen of India on January 26, 1950,
    or was a citizen of India on or at any time after January 26, 1950,
    or belonged to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947,
    and their children and grandchildren,
    provided their country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such persons are also eligible for OCI registration. However, if the applicant has ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh or has an adverse record, they are not eligible for OCI.

So my question is that whether the rules have changed ? and whether can I apply for OCI Card ?

Originally posted by Sonada14 View Post
    I am 17 years old and I am a U.S Citizen by birth. My father is an Indian citizen and my mother is a U.S citizen by naturalization.
    We live in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I want to apply for OCI Card, so I went to the Indian embassy, Riyadh. There the person who is responsible for issuing and processing OCI Card told us that I can only apply for OCI Card when I will become 21 years old but the rules say something else

Any foreign national

who was eligible to become a citizen of India on January 26, 1950,
    or was a citizen of India on or at any time after January 26, 1950,
    or belonged to a territory that became part of India after August 15, 1947,
    and their children and grandchildren,
    provided their country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such persons are also eligible for OCI registration. However, if the applicant has ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh or has an adverse record, they are not eligible for OCI.

So my question is that whether the rules have changed ? and whether can I apply for OCI Card ?
    As per my understanding, your Mother and Father should be citizens of countries other than India. Since your dad is an Indian Citizen, you are not eligible. At least that is what is being told to applicants in the US. You are eligible for PIO.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X