URGENT: Indian Visa Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT: Indian Visa Question

Hi, Me (indian citizen) and my wife (US Citizen) are traveling to India on Aug 15th to visit my family (tourism).

My wife has an Indian Business visa valid for 2 more years but not a Tourist visa. Will she have trouble getting through customs? Please advise as to how to handle it. We are in New York City but think it might take longer to get a tourist visa if we apply now.

thanks.

I don't understand why you would want to indicate your question as "urgent". You have over 10 days left to obtain a tourist visa.

Since your wife has a business visa, she could travel with it to India until it expires. It is unusual for an immigration officer in India to ask for the reason of your visit. Most of the interactions with immigrations in India tend to be of a silent nature, unless they find an error or expiry date on your documents.

That said, you would be allowed to apply for a tourist visa directly at the NY consulate, provided that you are within 3-5 (preferably 3) days of your departure. You would need the entire visa application filled out with supporting documents, including a copy of your confirmed ticket indicating your date of departure.

Comment

Hi OCIS,
      Thank you for your prompt response. Sorry about that, I felt under 10 business days would be urgent in terms of getting an Indian visa.

Thanks - I think we will just use the Business visa for her travel. However, for the disembarkation/customs form, should we select "business" or "tourist" for the "Purpose of visit" question. I was thinking Business to be safe.

Also, are foreign nationals traveling on business expected to carry any documents (employment letter, invitation letter, etc.)?

Best regards!

Originally posted by ocis View Post
      I don't understand why you would want to indicate your question as "urgent". You have over 10 days left to obtain a tourist visa.

Since your wife has a business visa, she could travel with it to India until it expires. It is unusual for an immigration officer in India to ask for the reason of your visit. Most of the interactions with immigrations in India tend to be of a silent nature, unless they find an error or expiry date on your documents.

That said, you would be allowed to apply for a tourist visa directly at the NY consulate, provided that you are within 3-5 (preferably 3) days of your departure. You would need the entire visa application filled out with supporting documents, including a copy of your confirmed ticket indicating your date of departure.

Comment

Originally posted by ocis View Post
        It is unusual for an immigration officer in India to ask for the reason of your visit. Most of the interactions with immigrations in India tend to be of a silent nature, unless they find an error or expiry date on your documents.
        LOL, that made me laugh. So true...

Comment

Originally posted by vmsk0716 View Post
          However, for the disembarkation/customs form, should we select "business" or "tourist" for the "Purpose of visit" question. I was thinking Business to be safe.
          That would make sense given your wife's type of visa.

Originally posted by vmsk0716 View Post
          Also, are foreign nationals traveling on business expected to carry any documents (employment letter, invitation letter, etc.)?
          No, it is unlikely that you would be asked to show anything at all.
          Business is not all about employment, or an invitation, etc. Such letters would only be required as part of the documentation for a visa application.
          Business can also mean meeting with someone to discuss a business idea, or exploring new business opportunities, or visiting vendors.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by FinallyDone View Post
          LOL, that made me laugh. So true...

Comment

This is so funny... when I had an Indian passport, I was always asked the purpose of my visit at Mumbai immigration. Ever since I got a US passport, they do not ask me anything! Talk about the convoluted ways the Indian bureaucracy works!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X