Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my Indian Passport in USA with H1-B

Hi

I landed in US a month ago on H1-B. I was in CA for a month after which I traveled to Miami,Fl on a project assignment.

A very unfortunate thing happened to me yesterday, the next day I landed in Miami.

My backpack was stolen in a mall which had literally everything.
    I lost
    My Indian passport with H1 stamp
    SSN Card
    All Indian IDs like PAN, Adhar, etc.
    All educational certificates.

I filed a report with the local police, and they gave me a Case number, said the original report would take 7-10 working days.

I'm so confused now, dont know what to do. First thing to get is my passport, and get it stamped when I go to India. I need the passport as I don't have any ID, and applying for anything would require passport in the first place.

I checked the Atlanta consulate website(where Florida falls under), and it asks for (among other documents)residence proof like utility/rental agreement, etc. which I don't have as I just landed in Miami. What will be the alternative for this. I've checked few blogs.

I would like to listen from someone who had gone through a similar situation and would like to know how long does this process of getting a new passport would take in Atlanta consulate(website mentions 6-8 weeks, but what is the reality, I have my records clean).

Also, speaking to the consulate, they say that first I need to get is the approval from consulate in person before applying for the passport in BLS office.
    Can both be done on a single day?

Also, note that I don't have the passport, can I travel in flight? With the photocopied and the police case?

Please don't mind, but another qn - As I lost my SSN, what is the immediate thing to do. I was trying to reach SSA but the customer care is so busy that even after 1 hr wait, it's still on hold and hanging up.

Should I block my passport and SSN to avoid illegal usage? And how?

I'm new to this country and really no idea on the processes.
    Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Ravi

Hi
    In continuation to the above thread, one more question.

I've got my H1 stamped in London Embassy as I was in UK at that time.
    Now, when I get the duplicate passport from Indian consulate here in US, can I get it stamped in India? Or should I travel only to UK?

Regards
    Ravi

Comment

I am really sorry that you are going thru the pain - you really need an ID to be able to do anything.

Go with your police report and photocopies of all documents to local DMV and talk to supervisor if they will issue you a temporary ID card for air travel etc.

If not then you will have to take bus ride or go with a friend to Indian consulate and get a passport made without which you can not do anything. In your case working thru mail may not work.

Since your lost passport had a valid H1 Visa you should be able to transfer that to new passport without crossing border. Check with immigration attorney of your employer who sponsored you.

Comment

Originally posted by att_001 View Post
        I am really sorry that you are going thru the pain - you really need an ID to be able to do anything.

Go with your police report and photocopies of all documents to local DMV and talk to supervisor if they will issue you a temporary ID card for air travel etc.

If not then you will have to take bus ride or go with a friend to Indian consulate and get a passport made without which you can not do anything. In your case working thru mail may not work.

Since your lost passport had a valid H1 Visa you should be able to transfer that to new passport without crossing border. Check with immigration attorney of your employer who sponsored you.
        Thankyou for your reply.
        I spoke to the consulate and they say
        1. Go to Atlanta Consulate in Person, and ask for approval for the new passport.
        I said I don't have any IDs for residence proof as I landed recently, they said employer reference letter should be fine.
        2. After getting the approval, go to BLS office in Person and apply for the fresh passport.

Did anyone have any experiences with Atlanta consulate & BLS office on Lost Passport case?
        I would like to know how much time does it take for the new passport.

Is there any specific format for police report. The police haven't taken any details regarding the passport, he just noted down that I lost my passport and other documents(like certificates). Do the report mention the loss of passport with the numbre, issue date, etc? Or just the word passport should be fine.

Appreciate your response.

Regards
        RaviKiran

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X