Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Visa is required to apply for OCI in India

Hi,

I am on H1B in USA and my child (1 month old) is US born (hence US citizen). I want him to take to India and apply for OCI card in India itself (as PIO is discontinued from Jan 9, 2015). Kindly answer following questions.
    1. To apply for OCI in India, do both parents need to be present and are both parents' "original" passports required at any stage of application? I plan to come back to USA and my wife will apply for OCI in India.
    2. What type of Visa is required while applying for OCI in India. If my child is on Entry or Tourist visa, can I apply for OCI?
    3. Do I need to apply while being in USA and show application form while entering India at airport or can he enter India and I can start a fresh OCI application in India?
    4. Once applied for OCI in India, how long applicant can stay in India on his current Visa(I think it'll depend on Visa type but would like to know if he can stay more as we would have filed for OCI)?

Please respond soon as I am planning to go to India soon.

Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by vaibhaviit2002 View Post
    Hi,

I am on H1B in USA and my child (1 month old) is US born (hence US citizen). I want him to take to India and apply for OCI card in India itself (as PIO is discontinued from Jan 9, 2015). Kindly answer following questions.
    1. To apply for OCI in India, do both parents need to be present and are both parents' "original" passports required at any stage of application? I plan to come back to USA and my wife will apply for OCI in India.
    2. What type of Visa is required while applying for OCI in India. If my child is on Entry or Tourist visa, can I apply for OCI?
    3. Do I need to apply while being in USA and show application form while entering India at airport or can he enter India and I can start a fresh OCI application in India?
    4. Once applied for OCI in India, how long applicant can stay in India on his current Visa(I think it'll depend on Visa type but would like to know if he can stay more as we would have filed for OCI)?

Thanks a lot.
    If you are leaving in next 6 months, i wont suggest applying for OCI from US. You can apply for OCI from India if you have 3 months of valid Entry visa. so i would suggest that. Entry visa is valid for 5 years and your child can stay maximum of 5 years, but he cant study in India legally on Entry visa.

I am in same boat with you rather worse as i already sent the documents for PIO which they should receive tomorrow. Do some research and post if you find anything else on this.

Thanks,
    Gagan

Comment

same situation

I am in the same situation, i am planning to go to India in February and planning to keep both my kids to India, I spoke to CKGS they say you can apply for OCI once your visa expires or is about to expire. i dont know whether i should apply for OCI and then for visa or other way round as i will be coming back after 2 months.

my visa form is ready (only need to fill the visa period).

Ganesh

Comment

applying for OCI from India

Hi I was browsing internet and found it. we can apply for Entry visa for 6 months and apply for OCI from India

/oci-application-process-in-usa/

i am still browsing, will update it if i find anything else.

Comment

Hi,

Any conclusion with your case?

I am exactly in the same boat as yours. My wife and kids are travelling to India on June 7th and will stay till Oct 31.
          I'm confused whether to apply for OCI or Visitor or Entry visa?

If i apply for Visitor or Entry visa now, which is the right option - Entry or Visitor visa, considering they have to stay till OCt 31.?

Thanks!!

Originally posted by vaibhaviit2002 View Post
          Hi,

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by darkprince View Post
            Hi,

Any conclusion with your case?

I am exactly in the same boat as yours. My wife and kids are travelling to India on June 7th and will stay till Oct 31.
            I'm confused whether to apply for OCI or Visitor or Entry visa?

If i apply for Visitor or Entry visa now, which is the right option - Entry or Visitor visa, considering they have to stay till OCt 31.?

Thanks!!
            Hi,
            I think, visa becomes effective from the date it is granted by the authority (not the date you apply or wish to have - post dated). So if you apply now and were to travel somewhere in June, you will have already lapsed 4months of the useful period. you may want to apply in May2015.

I read that an OCI applicant need to have a minimum 3month valid visa. Wished to know if it was a tourist visa or entry visa?

End

Comment

Entry visa or tourist visa will allow for application of OCI for minor in India

We wanted to apply for OCI for USA newborn daughter. Unfortunately our visas are expiring in Apr-2015. We have I-94 status till Sep-2016.

We were not planning to return to India before May-2016. I want my daughter to be travel ready in case of any unforeseen circumstances due to which we need to travel.

The updated checklist on CKGS needs us to have a USA visa which is valid for at-least 3 months. I called them and inquired about my scenario - but they are insisting that I would need a valid visa - I-94 status will not be considered.

Does anyone know if we can apply for the entry visa now and use it later as needed? Will we be able to get OCI for my daughter once we take her to India on the entry visa? After getting the OCI for my daughter would there be a need to travel out of India and re-enter to activate the OCI and transition out of the entry visa?

Comment

Can you apply for OCI from india on a Tourist visa (minor)

Hello there

My son will be travelling to India on a tourist visa in May 2015. I would like to know can he apply for a OCI from India on a tourist visa or does the BOI/FRRO insist on a Entry visa to apply for a OCI card for a minor.

Was anyone able to find out the right kind of visa required to apply for an OCI card from India.

Comment

Originally posted by narifahad View Post
                  Hello there

My son will be travelling to India on a tourist visa in May 2015. I would like to know can he apply for a OCI from India on a tourist visa or does the BOI/FRRO insist on a Entry visa to apply for a OCI card for a minor.

Was anyone able to find out the right kind of visa required to apply for an OCI card from India.
                  Hello

I'm also in the same Suitutiation. My H1-B extension is in-progress and I need to send my wife and Son to India. please let me know whether I need to take Tourist Visa or Entry Visa to apply OCI for him in India. Also what is the processing time for OCI in India?

Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by sathishc View Post
                    Hello

I'm also in the same Suitutiation. My H1-B extension is in-progress and I need to send my wife and Son to India. please let me know whether I need to take Tourist Visa or Entry Visa to apply OCI for him in India. Also what is the processing time for OCI in India?

Please advise.
                    You need entry visa for OCI. OCI itself takes good period and 30 days tourist visa isn't good. I tried but couldn't get it on tourist visa.

Comment

Hi vaibhaviit2002, Would like to know if entry visa is required for OCI or is it just the visa validity which gives edge to entry visa over tourist visa. I got a tourist visa for my US born daughter recently and it is 10 year multiple visit visa with max stay of 6 months at a time. She will be leaving in Feb' 16 for India and I am planning to get the OCI there. Let me know if you know the process around this. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by araj123 View Post
                        Hi vaibhaviit2002, Would like to know if entry visa is required for OCI or is it just the visa validity which gives edge to entry visa over tourist visa. I got a tourist visa for my US born daughter recently and it is 10 year multiple visit visa with max stay of 6 months at a time. She will be leaving in Feb' 16 for India and I am planning to get the OCI there. Let me know if you know the process around this. Thanks.
                        I didn't apply for OCI. I am back to US and will apply here. My son was in India on Visa on arrival which had validity of 30 days. I came to know that OCI takes time. May be up to 6 months. So you may want to talk to the authority.

Comment

No Visa for my newborn??!! Request your suggestions/advice please. Only 8 weeks left

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well. I have a situation which i will try to jot down as short as possible. Appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

- I'm maxing out on L1B in by Feb end 2016.
                          - Filed petition (normal processing) to convert to L1A in Aug 2015. No decision yet on case.
                          - We have a month old newborn. All essential docs are ready (Birth cert, SSN, passport) except visa.

My questions are:

1. I understand i could apply for OCI / entry visa / tourist visa for the newborn. The catch is - all these require per CKGS checklist, that i hold a minimum of 3 months valid US visa. I clearly don't meet this due to timing of newborn. Given this, do you know how should i get an Indian visa for my baby?
                          2. I'm worried in the event of L1A getting RFE/denial and i happen to move out, how to take the baby without a visa to India, when all visa types require atleast 3 months valid US visa for parents?
                          3. Do i have to contact Indian consulate in New York? If yes, could i call or email them? Is this an exceptional case?

I'm sure there should be a workaround for instances like mine, but can't find anything on CKGS website. I really appreciate any advise.

Thank you!
                          clt2bos

Comment

India visa for minor when parent H1/L1 visa expired and extension not granted

Originally posted by clt2bos View Post
                            Hi everyone,

Hope all is well. I have a situation which i will try to jot down as short as possible. Appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

- I'm maxing out on L1B in by Feb end 2016.
                            - Filed petition (normal processing) to convert to L1A in Aug 2015. No decision yet on case.
                            - We have a month old newborn. All essential docs are ready (Birth cert, SSN, passport) except visa.

My questions are:

1. I understand i could apply for OCI / entry visa / tourist visa for the newborn. The catch is - all these require per CKGS checklist, that i hold a minimum of 3 months valid US visa. I clearly don't meet this due to timing of newborn. Given this, do you know how should i get an Indian visa for my baby?
                            2. I'm worried in the event of L1A getting RFE/denial and i happen to move out, how to take the baby without a visa to India, when all visa types require atleast 3 months valid US visa for parents?
                            3. Do i have to contact Indian consulate in New York? If yes, could i call or email them? Is this an exceptional case?

I'm sure there should be a workaround for instances like mine, but can't find anything on CKGS website. I really appreciate any advise.

Thank you!
                            clt2bos
                            Hi clt2bos,

I am having same situation as you. Have US born child with passport ready. L1A extension applied, but not sure of approval or rejection. How to get India visa for the baby since I dont have 3 month US visa validity. I emailed CKGS in SF (CA) with my situation but they replied that India visa for baby will not be granted if I don't have valid 3 month US visa. This seems ridiculous. I asked them, then, should I leave my child here in US? No reply from them.

Please help me, how you solved this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by travnir View Post
                              Hi clt2bos,

I am having same situation as you. Have US born child with passport ready. L1A extension applied, but not sure of approval or rejection. How to get India visa for the baby since I dont have 3 month US visa validity. I emailed CKGS in SF (CA) with my situation but they replied that India visa for baby will not be granted if I don't have valid 3 month US visa. This seems ridiculous. I asked them, then, should I leave my child here in US? No reply from them.

Please help me, how you solved this problem.

I am just updating the status here so it will be useful to others. If parents are Indian citizen, India passport is sufficient. Maybe the expired visa along with extension receipt copy can be shown. In my case, my visa was about to expire in 10 days and I did not give any extension receipt to them. While an initial query to CKGS got me a reply that visa will be denied if 3 months validity is not there, I persisted explaining the ridiculousness of the situation. Then they got back after few days saying it is ok to submit. I personally submitted form at CKGS and told at the counter the situation - they did not ask anything, and visa was granted quickly by consulate. They just do not document this situation, but the processing is fine.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X