oci eligibility -parent status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oci eligibility -parent status

I am an indian citizen doctor and in a process of acquiring british citizenship by naturalisation. I have a query about my eligibility for oci, which is not very clear from your website.

I am 36yrs old and was born and brought up in india and had been indian citizen all my life. I am *living in uk for 7 years.
    Both my parents are indian citizens. However, although my mother is Indian citizen by birth, my father acquired indian citizenship in 1964. Before that he was a citizen of bangladesh. He married my mum years after becoming an indian citizen.

Will the fact that my father at one point used to be a bangladeshi citizen, although he became an indian citizen before I was born, will make me not eligible for oci after I acquire british citizenship?

Kindly reply , as your reply will make be decide whether to go ahead with acquiring british citizenship or not.

As per the new amendments to citizenship act, following restriction applies on OCI eligibility as stated in Indian Citizenship Act section 7(A) subsection 1:

Provided further that no person, who or either of whose parents or
    grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan,
    Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification
    in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas
    Citizen of India Cardholder under this sub-section.

This makes you, your children or grandchildren ineligible for OCI.

However, a new provision has been added under section 7(A) subsection 3, which states as below:

(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Central
    Government may, if it is satisfied that special circumstances exist, after recording the
    circumstances in writing, register a person as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.

You can try and check with MHA, what these special circumstances are:

Originally posted by Sanchaita Das View Post
    I am an indian citizen doctor and in a process of acquiring british citizenship by naturalisation. I have a query about my eligibility for oci, which is not very clear from your website.

I am 36yrs old and was born and brought up in india and had been indian citizen all my life. I am *living in uk for 7 years.
    Both my parents are indian citizens. However, although my mother is Indian citizen by birth, my father acquired indian citizenship in 1964. Before that he was a citizen of bangladesh. He married my mum years after becoming an indian citizen.

Will the fact that my father at one point used to be a bangladeshi citizen, although he became an indian citizen before I was born, will make me not eligible for oci after I acquire british citizenship?

Kindly reply , as your reply will make be decide whether to go ahead with acquiring british citizenship or not.

Comment

oci eligibility -parent status

Hi,

Just wanted to check did you get the OCI card.
      I have a similar situation. My daughter is born jn US Citizen, and me and my husband are indian citizen, born and brouhht up there. But my mom dad was born in bangladesh but moved to india in 1964, and are indian citizen. Holds the passport indian

Comment

Did you get the OCI card, cozi have got a similar kind of situation,but its for my daughter.
        Pls let me know

Comment

Hi Sanchaita & Pritidibyendu, Any recommendations based on your experience on getting the OCI ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X