Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on VISA or OCI card

Hi,
    Currently i am on L1 Visa and is Expired in April 2015. I have applied for Extension and have recvied receipt.

My kid is born in USA in March and my wife and kid want to travel to india.
    I checked with cox and kings for OCI card for my kid and they said i have to hold valid Visa of min 3 months to applly for OCI card and it cannot be processed with Extension petition waiting for approval.

Now i am planning to apply for tourist visa. not sure if that also required valid visa for parents.

In case my Extension is rejected - what should i do to take my kid to india?

Originally posted by harinandan View Post
    Hi,
    Currently i am on L1 Visa and is Expired in April 2015. I have applied for Extension and have recvied receipt.

I checked with cox and kings for OCI card for my kid and they said i have to hold valid Visa of min 3 months to applly for OCI card and it cannot be processed with Extension petition waiting for approval.

Now i am planning to apply for tourist visa. not sure if that also required valid visa for parents.

unfortunately, as I know, you might have to take tourist visa incase of L1 rejection. You can also take visa on arrival (if stay is 30 days) and later u can apply for OCI from INDIA (not sure if anyone done this but this can be an option - logically)...

Comment

Hi,

Hi there,
      I had the same situation, where my L1 Visa got expired on Mar 04 2018, Had baby on April 2018. I expedite to get passport immediately. Went to CKGS centre for applying OCI.
      They tried to deny me.asking for "to hold valid Visa of min 3 months to applly for OCI card" .I requested them to please give this statement in written. As I don't see this anywhere as checklist item for applying OCI.
      Then he redirected me to check with Indian Consulate , if they have no issue, then we are ok. After long wait in phone , I finally reached the support person there, he initially phrased the same words favour to CKGS.
      I said like, what is the rule in specific, holds me back not to apply OCI, please reply me in written form or through response for my email, if needed i can drop it on request.He was silent for a while and he turned back on CKGS.
      He offered me with CKGS main office customer care number, they confirmed OCI application can be taken by CKGS but the result will be decided by Indian Govt.

The entire discussion costed me 1Hr in CKGS office Chiocago.

Guys, I know i am replying to old thread, but please be more informative and fight for the rights. We are here in USA after many struggles, don't take things just granted. Free advice, ignore if felt bad.

Comment

Hi,

Yes correct. we need to get their old school rules changed. If parents Temporary work visa extension is rejected then parents have to leave US. At that time where do they keep Infant? Infant is born in USA and he/she is US citizen, i don't know why are they asking parents visa for at least 3 months. unless parents are already out of status and extension is not applied then they should not consider application.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X