Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newborn in US - What visa to apply to go to India (OCI will be taken later)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newborn in US - What visa to apply to go to India (OCI will be taken later)?

I am on a visa in US. My kid was born a month ago, and need to travel to India within 1 month. What will be the right visa to apply.
    Tourist or Entry?
    I can't see anywhere mentioning clearly on which of them to apply based on the situations for either of the visa.
    Please let me know if someone has applied recently and whats the major difference between both the visas.
    Thanks!

Entry visa.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
      Entry visa.
      Thank you. If I get the visa for 5 years, I don't need to register at the FRRO right, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by TomH View Post
        I am on a visa in US. My kid was born a month ago, and need to travel to India within 1 month. What will be the right visa to apply.
        Tourist or Entry?
        I can't see anywhere mentioning clearly on which of them to apply based on the situations for either of the visa.
        Please let me know if someone has applied recently and whats the major difference between both the visas.
        Thanks!
        My advice is to take multiple entry tourist VISA now. If travel is <30 days, you can go for VISA ON ARRIVAL route as well.

There are lots of confusion on OCI card process. Let the dust settle and then u can apply for OCI (say after 2-3 years may be).

Comment

Entry or Tourist

Originally posted by sunrag1 View Post
          My advice is to take multiple entry tourist VISA now. If travel is <30 days, you can go for VISA ON ARRIVAL route as well.

There are lots of confusion on OCI card process. Let the dust settle and then u can apply for OCI (say after 2-3 years may be).
          I am in a same situation as TomH. Interesting you mentioned about tourist visa. But immihelp says persons of indian origin are not eligible for that. They recommend entry visa. Only on immihelp I found this. Why is that?

Comment

Newbord in US - Tourist vs Entry visa for travel to india

Cincidude - Did you get answer to your question regarding Tourist visa vs Entry visa for a newborn in US? My newborn (US passport holder by birth) will travel to India with us (both parents are indian passport holders, have green cards), and want to apply for 5 year multiple entry visa. Entry visa is $220 whereas tourist visa is $100. Are we eligible to apply for tourist visa?

Thanks

Comment

eTourist visa fee is $60

Originally posted by o0tushar0o View Post
              Cincidude - Did you get answer to your question regarding Tourist visa vs Entry visa for a newborn in US? My newborn (US passport holder by birth) will travel to India with us (both parents are indian passport holders, have green cards), and want to apply for 5 year multiple entry visa. Entry visa is $220 whereas tourist visa is $100. Are we eligible to apply for tourist visa?

Thanks
              As per last time when I checked (last week), eTourist visa fee is $60 per person.

Comment

Originally posted by TomH View Post
                Tourist or Entry?
                Thanks!
                I am in the same boat as you. Can you please tell me what did you end up doing? Thanks.

Comment

Stay away from OCI card and CKGS as much as possible.

Originally posted by drdkgupta View Post
                  I am in the same boat as you. Can you please tell me what did you end up doing? Thanks.
                  Stay away from OCI. It is a hogwash.

Get a 10-Year multiple entry visa if you are planning to visit India at least three times within the 10 years. Otherwise, eTourist visa every time before you travel. eTourist visa application process is on-line, extremely simple, short and straight-forward. It only requires two documents (scan and upload), and only $60 fee per person. After you apply, you get eTourist visa delivered to you via e-mail after four days but you have to travel within 30 days from the issuance of the visa! See the website below:

OCI card application process is extremely steep and lengthy. On top of that, the obscure rule that is posted on the Indian embassy website (also on CKGS website) states that OCI card must be reissued EVERY TIME when foreign passport is renewed (except when you are between the age of 21 and 49 years). One may question (rightfully so) the endorsement of "lifetime validity" on the OCI card and the visa! On top of that, the OCI card reissue process is the same and equally painful as if applying for the first time, requiring the same amount of paperwork (notarized every time), and it takes at least two months to get your reissued OCI card back! Imagine having to to pass the written test and road test every time when you have to get your driver's license renewed! The OCI reissue process is even worse!

Ironically, 10-Year multiple visa is exempt from reissue requirement - regardless of age at which your foreign passport is renewed!

The so called "logic" behind the OCI reissue requirement is biological changes in one's face. Agreed! But why can the reissue process not be simple, easy and short like the US permanent resident card renewal process (US permanent resident card is equivalent to OCI card for India)? Also, why is the same "logic" of changes in face not applied for the age range of 21 to 49 years - a span of 28 years? Also, once your OCI card is issued/reissued after the age of 50 you do not have to ever get it reissued no matter how old you get past that and no matter how many times you get your foreign passport renewed! So, does the Indian government think that a person's face remains the same between the age of 21 and 49 years and it will also remain the same after the person turns 50 (only if the person gets the OCI reissued)? In other words, as per the Indian government, as soon as I turn 50 I will look different beyond recognition as compared to my picture on the OCI card issued at the age of 42 but I will always look like my picture on the OCI card issued at the age of 51 even if I get to live to be 80 or 85?

Whoever made this rule and the process requirement, I wonder which planet he/she/it came from!
                  Last edited by samlynn; 08-23-2016, 07:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by ProNRI View Post
                    eTourist visa every time before you travel. eTourist visa application process is on-line, extremely simple, short and straight-forward. It only requires two documents (scan and upload), and only $60 fee per person. After you apply, you get eTourist visa delivered to you via e-mail after four days but you have to travel within 30 days from the issuance of the visa! [/url]
                    What are the two documents needed?

I am going only for two weeks. I considered the eTourist visa but ended up applying for the 10 year tourist visa. Main reason: I wanted a visa in hand before I boarded the long flight.

Comment

Good deal!

Originally posted by sojourner View Post
                      What are the two documents needed?

I am going only for two weeks. I considered the eTourist visa but ended up applying for the 10 year tourist visa. Main reason: I wanted a visa in hand before I boarded the long flight.
                      eTourist visa is for those who do not have time to wait for the visa. 10-year multiple visa is the most ideal one for those who do not need the benefits that OCI has to offer (stay in India for longer than six months, purchase properties in India, etc).

The list of documents required for eTourist visa application are available at this site:

Basically scanned image of your passport and scanned image of passport picture is all you need.
                      Last edited by ProNRI; 08-23-2016, 07:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by ProNRI View Post
                        eTourist visa is for those who do not have time to wait for the visa. 10-year multiple visa is the most ideal one for those who do not need the benefits that OCI has to offer (stay in India for longer than six months, purchase properties in India, etc).

The list of documents required for eTourist visa application are available at this site:

Basically scanned image of your passport and scanned image of passport picture is all you need.
                        Thanks for the reply. The eTourist visa DOES seem like a great option for those making short visits.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X