Tired of paper work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of paper work

My son and daughter who are less than 6 already have PIO and because of this porting I am told to apply for OCI. Not sure if Modi knows the complexity of doing so but everyone I talked to are really pissed off the paper work.

They asked for ton of papers while applying for PIO. And now they are asking all the paperwork and more paperwork just to give an OCI on an approved and valid PIO.

Can't we all write to Consular generals and demand a response? Can't we write to PM and his office about how much additional head aches he added by doing this favor?

Can't we file a consumer protection case?

If any of you did these and know best way to show our frustration, please let me know.

Thanks!

Originally posted by bvssrs View Post
    My son and daughter who are less than 6 already have PIO and because of this porting I am told to apply for OCI. Not sure if Modi knows the complexity of doing so but everyone I talked to are really pissed off the paper work.

They asked for ton of papers while applying for PIO. And now they are asking all the paperwork and more paperwork just to give an OCI on an approved and valid PIO.

Can't we all write to Consular generals and demand a response? Can't we write to PM and his office about how much additional head aches he added by doing this favor?

Can't we file a consumer protection case?

If any of you did these and know best way to show our frustration, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Exactly.. I am in same boat too.. Not sure why approved PIO holders need to submit all docs. IN some cases, submitting few documents after filling a form is kind of OK.. but not cropping a photo, uploading all docs, submitting original docs etc.. Ohh NO... WHo will have access to printers, scanners etc?

Infact in India, passport issue/reissue has been made very easy process but in US its other way round (incase of PIO to OCI conversion).

Comment

Originally posted by sunrag1 View Post
      Exactly.. I am in same boat too.. Not sure why approved PIO holders need to submit all docs. IN some cases, submitting few documents after filling a form is kind of OK.. but not cropping a photo, uploading all docs, submitting original docs etc.. Ohh NO... WHo will have access to printers, scanners etc?

Infact in India, passport issue/reissue has been made very easy process but in US its other way round (incase of PIO to OCI conversion).
      i can help

Comment

Painful process

I totally agree with the sentiments here. And, just to tell you the bad news, it does not get easier after you get the OCI. Because for a child under 16, you have to apply for OCI match up with new passport every time your child gets a new passport, which is every 5 years. And believe it or not, you have to send ALL the documents (even originals such as your passports and OCI cards), get them notarized, self attested and all the shitty things AGAIN !! So don't think once you get the OCI you are off the hook, because you will have to go through the pain again after 5 years. I am telling you this because I know from personal experience having just applied for matchup for my two sons.

This is one messed up process, I can tell you. Not only does it involve a ton of paperwork and getting things notarized, on top having to send your valuable document like passport (including yours and kids) cause lot of anxiety and has potential of misplacing originals. What a nightmare!! It is so true when they say common sense is not common. For Indian govt. babus this is so true.

All this makes me realize that applying for OCI for kids makes no sense. Just get the visa until they are 16, and then apply for OCI. Visa is valid for 10 years and you can take old passport with visa and new passport. OCI is supposed to be for life but for kids under 16 you basically reapply every 5 years.

We should write to PMO office as a start. Here is the url - http://pmindia.gov.in/en/interact-with-honble-pm/
        Last edited by ctdesi; 03-14-2016, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdesi View Post
          I totally agree with the sentiments here. And, just to tell you the bad news, it does not get easier after you get the OCI. Because for a child under 16, you have to apply for OCI match up with new passport every time your child gets a new passport, which is every 5 years. And believe it or not, you have to send ALL the documents (even originals such as your passports and OCI cards), get them notarized, self attested and all the shitty things AGAIN !! So don't think once you get the OCI you are off the hook, because you will have to go through the pain again after 5 years. I am telling you this because I know from personal experience having just applied for matchup for my two sons.

This is one messed up process, I can tell you. Not only does it involve a ton of paperwork and getting things notarized, on top having to send your valuable document like passport (including yours and kids) cause lot of anxiety and has potential of misplacing originals. What a nightmare!! It is so true when they say common sense is not common. For Indian govt. babus this is so true.

All this makes me realize that applying for OCI for kids makes no sense. Just get the visa until they are 16, and then apply for OCI. Visa is valid for 10 years and you can take old passport with visa and new passport. OCI is supposed to be for life but for kids under 16 you basically reapply every 5 years.

We should write to PMO office as a start. Here is the url - http://pmindia.gov.in/en/interact-with-honble-pm/
          Knowing OCI pain, we took PIO (instead of VISA) for our kids. If this was known, we would have taken VISA only earlier. Why pay for pain and CKGS fees now to convert?.. Things are getting worse only now then...

Comment

Originally posted by sunrag1 View Post
            Knowing OCI pain, we took PIO (instead of VISA) for our kids. If this was known, we would have taken VISA only earlier. Why pay for pain and CKGS fees now to convert?.. Things are getting worse only now then...
            i just checked...

visa process is also very laborious...

also, for minors they give 5 years visa (not 10 years)...

Comment

A very useful post documenting the online form, may be variations on requirements for documents depending on where you live:
              Last edited by Antonise; 05-30-2016, 10:16 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X