Father acquiring dutch passport impact on minor son citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father acquiring dutch passport impact on minor son citizenship

My nI am here in Netherlands with my wife and a 2 year old son.My son was born in India and hence he has a indian birth certificate and Indian passport.I plan to take a dutch passport in coming months and had the following questions.

Question 1.
    If I take dutch passport and OCI and return indian passport is it mandatory that my son also has to return his indian passport.My wife will continue to hold indian passport.

Question 2
    If I decide to take dutch passport for my son can he continue to hold both Indian and dutch passports till the age of 18 years.Nederlands allows that for minors.

Question 3
    If I take dutch passport for my son and we return to india for settlement can I apply for indian citizenship/passport for my son before he is 18 years

Question 1.
    If I take dutch passport and OCI and return indian passport is it mandatory that my son also has to return his indian passport.My wife will continue to hold indian passport.
    Ans: Does your son has a travel document that will be still valid even after you take Dutch passport? if yes, he can continue to use Indian passport and dutch travel document for travel. He can decide if want to take dutch citizenship once he is 18 years of age.

Question 2
    If I decide to take dutch passport for my son can he continue to hold both Indian and dutch passports till the age of 18 years.Nederlands allows that for minors.
    Ans: No. As per Indian citizenship laws, dual citizenship is not allowed and you have to surrender his Indian passport for renunciation.

Question 3
    If I take dutch passport for my son and we return to india for settlement can I apply for indian citizenship/passport for my son before he is 18 years[/QUOTE]
    Ans: Yes, however there are rules that require stay in India for certain duration on OCI before reapplying for citizenship.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X