X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying OCI in india

we had recently baby in US and got entry visa for my baby,

i want to apply for OCI card in India.

i browsed internet and got some info but no where written in clear. i have some doubts and would be thank full to you guys if cleared.

1. after applying in online FRRO site, do i need to send documents to FRRO location or can i submit inperson in any location ?
    2. if allowed to submit in person, how to book appointment to submit the documents.
    3. if we are not allowed, how to submit baby passport for stamping ?
    4. are we getting any card or stamping in passport ?
    5. i will be US and my spouse and child will be in india at the time of submission .. will it cause any problem ?
    6. how many days it will take to get OCI card for baby ?
    7. as mentioned in guide lines, applicant should self attest all the documents. but infant can not self attest , can parents authorized to attest instead of them ?

OCI in India

Hi,

Applying for OCI from India still takes time. About a year ago the process time was 6 - 8 weeks, it has now grown and the estimated time for getting an OCI is into months. Last week when I checked with the FRRO office I was told it could take up to 6 months.

If you live close to an FRRO office in India you could drop by, if not you could call. Expect long lines and bad phone connection.

You should bring all relevant documents with you to the FRRO office including those that you submitted online. Bring as much information as you can when going. They may wish to take a new copy of your child’s passport, they will not keep it and the OCI is a new document book that will look a little like a passport when you finally receive it.

When you are in the US, make sure that your wife carries with her copies of all your documents, including your passport, driver’s license, your visa to stay in the US, marriage certificate. Basically anything you can think of.

The self-attest is usually done with a thumb print for the minor of that age, make sure that your wife brings the baby to the FRRO office when she goes.

Kind Regards,
    Jon

Comment

Similar situation

I was in similar situation about a year ago. My wife was home visiting Mumbai and while I was here in the US. I think jon1arne is right. I had sent with her everything I could think of, still ended up sending more documents from the US. In the end I contacted the oci help desk at visahelpdesk.net and they totally came through for me. Think I paid about 5-10 bucks but it was totally worth it. Can recommend it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X