Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI - Renunciation Certificate

Hi,

I have applied for an OCI. One of the requirements on the checklist was to submit a proof of Indian passport renunciation.

3 distinct choices:
    Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship.
    OR
    o Certificate of renunciation issued by the Embassy/Consulate of India.
    OR
    o Deemed surrender certificate issued by the
    Self Attested Copy Embassy/Consulate of India.

I submitted a Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship.
    My passport was stamped with this seal at the Indian Embassy in NY when i went to get an emergency visa( when my dad passed away) in January 2016.

Now I have to travel to India again in January and applied for my OCI through CKGS(Cox&Kings Global Services). CKGS is insisting that i have to submit a renunciation certificate even though i have the Canceled Passport with the stamp. They expect me to renunciate my renunciated passport.
    The conflicting situation in this entire saga is that CKGS website does no allow me to apply for a renunciation of a passport that has the stamp "Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship".
    What do they exactly want? They clearly outlined the stamped passport as one of the options in the checklist.
    i had called CKGS, they are "helpful" in infomring that they can;t help me and that i need to submit the renunciation certificate.
    HOW? their own website does not allow me to apply by indicating that if a passport has the "Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship" then it can be submitted as a proof.

When i call the embassy, they do not respond to my phone calls. I am so confused and frustrated. My only option is to go to NY personally and consult the Embassy if they can provide any certificate and then submit this to CKGS.

Now, my situation is that if i don't submit the certificate my OCI application will be canceled and i have to submit a new application.

I had payed about 200$ for the renunciation of the Indian passport to the Embassy in january.
    OCI application costed 340$ in all.
    if i don;t get the OCI on time, i have to take e-tourist visa which costs around 100$.
    If i don't submit the renunciation certificate on time, the OCI application will become obsolete and i have to submit a brand new application, another 340$.
    This is truly the most frustrating experience of any consular services i availed.

My question is, Did anybody have a similar experience and what did you do if you did?
    I will surely post the outcome of the Embassy and CKGS visit.

Try to keep escalating the issue to someone higher at CKGS. If you have a 'cancelled' stamp in your passport, you don't need a renunciation certificate. I had unrelated issue with CKGS before, and the only way I could resolve the issues through escalating the issue someone higher- it may take time. Also, try to email the concerned person (you can find an email for someone dealing with OCI, it son the website) at the Indian embassy with all the information. Good luck.

Comment

Dear Applicant,

We request you to share your concern and application details at [email protected] to better assist you.

Please mention the link of this post in your email.

Regards,
      CKGS USA Team

Originally posted by Renunciation View Post
      Hi,

I have applied for an OCI. One of the requirements on the checklist was to submit a proof of Indian passport renunciation.

3 distinct choices:
      Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship.
      OR
      OR

I submitted a Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship.
      My passport was stamped with this seal at the Indian Embassy in NY when i went to get an emergency visa( when my dad passed away) in January 2016.

Now I have to travel to India again in January and applied for my OCI through CKGS(Cox&Kings Global Services). CKGS is insisting that i have to submit a renunciation certificate even though i have the Canceled Passport with the stamp. They expect me to renunciate my renunciated passport.
      The conflicting situation in this entire saga is that CKGS website does no allow me to apply for a renunciation of a passport that has the stamp "Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship".
      What do they exactly want? They clearly outlined the stamped passport as one of the options in the checklist.
      i had called CKGS, they are "helpful" in infomring that they can;t help me and that i need to submit the renunciation certificate.
      HOW? their own website does not allow me to apply by indicating that if a passport has the "Canceled Indian Passport with stamp stating the passport is canceled due to obtaining US citizenship" then it can be submitted as a proof.

When i call the embassy, they do not respond to my phone calls. I am so confused and frustrated. My only option is to go to NY personally and consult the Embassy if they can provide any certificate and then submit this to CKGS.

Now, my situation is that if i don't submit the certificate my OCI application will be canceled and i have to submit a new application.

I had payed about 200$ for the renunciation of the Indian passport to the Embassy in january.
      if i don;t get the OCI on time, i have to take e-tourist visa which costs around 100$.
      If i don't submit the renunciation certificate on time, the OCI application will become obsolete and i have to submit a brand new application, another 340$.
      This is truly the most frustrating experience of any consular services i availed.

My question is, Did anybody have a similar experience and what did you do if you did?

Comment

Did you visit the embassy or CKGS? Can you please post the outcome?
        Application Center: CKGS NY
        OCI
        Feb 3, 2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
        Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
        Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
        Feb 8 -Govt of India: Date Of Acknowledgment
        -Documents Printing Status: UNDER-PROCESS

RENUNCIATION
        Feb 3,2017 -Application Received & Verification Complete
        Feb 6 -'Under Process' at CKGS
        Feb 7 -In-Transit & Under Process at Consulate
        Feb 8 -'Reviewed' by Consulate and ‘In Transit’ to CKGS

Comment

Originally posted by Renunciation View Post
          Hi,

3 distinct choices:
          OR
          OR

who no brainer ask you to renunce the surrender Indian passport?Big NO to this, the copy of surrender Indian passport is good enough

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X