Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding applying for OCI in India for minor

Hello All,

I am planning to apply for OCI in India at FRRO-Hyderabad for my US born minor child. I have few questions regarding the process.
    If any one had applied for OCI recently in India please help me.

1. What is the end-to-end time for receiving OCI?
    2. Is it mandatory to Apostille the US birth certificate? Can I get it done while I am in India?
    3. How can a minor who can not sign, self attest the enclosure documents? Can either of parents do it or minor finger print will work?
    4. How many sets of documents I need to submit for enclosure documents and application form?
    5. For collecting the OCI, should both the parents original documents be provided for verification? I will be in abroad after 2 months and I won't be available at the time of OCI collection.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by vikas_trl View Post
    Hello All,

I am planning to apply for OCI in India at FRRO-Hyderabad for my US born minor child. I have few questions regarding the process.

2. Is it mandatory to Apostille the US birth certificate? Can I get it done while I am in India?
    3. How can a minor who can not sign, self attest the enclosure documents? Can either of parents do it or minor finger print will work?
    4. How many sets of documents I need to submit for enclosure documents and application form?
    5. For collecting the OCI, should both the parents original documents be provided for verification? I will be in abroad after 2 months and I won't be available at the time of OCI collection.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi

You may have succeeded in getting the OCI for your child by now. Nevertheless posting it hoping it might help others.

I had applied for British passport and OCI for my son who was born India.

I first applied for British passport for him from India , as I hold a B- passport , then for an OCI.
    The process was not straight forward. You will never get decent timely advice; we had applied in Bangalore FRRO. Bangalore FRRO, sometime do respond to emails but are hardly of any benefit.

My son got his Indian Visa first for 1 year while we applied the BP for him, which was relatively a smooth process. As long as your BP application is foolproof, getting BP from India is pretty easy whreas OCI application process is rather cumbersome.

After we got the BP, we applied for OCI in India and it took ages, from Bangalore they had processed it rather quick but only get to get stuck somewhere in Delhi. I had frequently called Delhi office and emailed them but seldom got any response.

Finally as usual in India I had to use some high Governmental influence, through Indian foreign office. I knew a top official there. When he asked for it they blamed Bangalore office first for not sending it to Delhi , but Bangalore FRRO confirmed that it had been sent. Finally they found the applications just lying somewhere under the pile in Delhi and then issued the OCI the same day and couriered to B'lore FRRO. The whole process took just under 2 days after the official from FO was involved.

If you can, plz avoid applying in India, it is hard work and require some influence to get things done. Applying abroad I found make more sense and it is speedy.
    I had applied in 2014 , perhaps it may have improoved now, I would still avoid it.

It takes time, and there are agents who would help to personally go to Delhi office to get it done but fee is 3.5K USD, which I was not willing to pay.

Comment

Hello vikas_trl, mandatory to Apostille the US certificate?

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
      Hello,
      Were you able to find out if it is mandatory to Apostille the US birth certificate? I am in the similar situation of applying OCI in India for my minor daughter, it would be great if you can share your experience. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblepebble View Post
        Hello,
        Were you able to find out if it is mandatory to Apostille the US birth certificate? I am in the similar situation of applying OCI in India for my minor daughter, it would be great if you can share your experience. Thank you.
        Have you guys find any solutions for this problem? Do you guys know any agency who can assist in obtaining Apostille US birth certificate? OCI Cell in Mumbai doesn't have any information how we can get it done from India.

Comment

Successful OCI done in India

Originally posted by n.bhatt View Post
          Have you guys find any solutions for this problem? Do you guys know any agency who can assist in obtaining Apostille US birth certificate? OCI Cell in Mumbai doesn't have any information how we can get it done from India.
          Hi, we successfully got the OCI for our daughter. We didnt need to get the birth certificate apostilled.
          We applied on March first week and got it on last week of April.

Comment

OCI from India

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.
            Few answers to the above questions:
            1. It took us March first week to April last week. So about 7 to 8 weeks.
            2. Apostille is not mandatory.
            3. We as parents Self Attested all the documents.
            4. FRRO verified all originals and took 2 copies of each document.
            5. Both parents are not required. One parent can collect on behalf of the minor and they mention the same on the back of the application stating "collected oci on behalf of my daughter" with the date.

Comment

OCI Questions and Answer

1. Who is eligible to apply?

A foreign national, who was eligible to become a citizen of India on
              26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at anytime after 26.01.1950 or
              belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her
              children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows
              dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for
              registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI). Minor children of such
              person are also eligible for OCI. However, if the applicant had ever been a
              citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI.

2. Who was eligible to become Citizen of India on 26.01.1950?

Any person who, or whose parents or grand-parents were born in
              India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 (as originally
              enacted), and who was ordinarily residing in any country outside India was
              eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950.

3. Which territories became part of India after 15.08.1947 and from
              what date?

The territories which became part of India after 15.08.1947 are:
              (i) Sikkim 26.04.1975
              (ii) Pondicherry 16.08.1962
              (iii) Dadra & Nagar Haveli 11.08.1961
              (iv) Goa, Daman and Diu 20.12.1961

4. Can the spouse of the eligible person apply for OCI?

Yes, if he/she is eligible in his/her own capacity.

5. Can Minor children apply for OCI?

Yes, if either of the parents is eligible for OCI.

6. In what form should a person apply for an OCI and where are the
              forms available?

A family consisting of spouses and upto two minor children can apply
              in the same form i.e. Form XIX, which can be filed online or downloaded
              from our website www.mha.nic.in.

7. Can application form be filled and submitted on line?

Yes. Part A of the application form can be filed online. Part B can be
              downloaded and printed on computer or by hand in Block letters. Printed
              Part A and Part B of the application form has to be submitted to the Indian
              Mission/Post/Office.

8. What documents have to be submitted with the application?

The following documents shall be enclosed for each applicant:
              1. Proof of present citizenship
              2. Evidence of self or parents or grand parents,
              (a) being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of
              commencement of the Constitution; or
              (b) belonging to a territory that became a part of India after
              15 th August, 1947; or
              (c) being a citizen of India on or after 26 th January, 1950
              These could be:
              (i) Copy of the passport r
              (ii) Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Competent
              authority ;or
              (iii) Any other proof.
              3. Evidence of relationship as parent/grand parent, if their Indian
              origin is claimed as basis for grant of OCI.
              4. Application fee by way of Demand Draft (US $ 275 for each
              applicant or equivalent in local currency; US $ 25 or equivalent
              in local currency for each PIO card holder). In case of
              application filled in India, fee Rs.14,230/- for general category
              and for PIO card holders Rs.1,290/- to be paid by way of
              Demand Draft.
              5. PIO card holders should submit a copy of his/her PIO card.

9. What documents would qualify for “Any other proof” for
              evidence of self or parents or grand parents being eligible for
              grant of an OCI?

Any documentary evidence like a school certificate, land ownership
              certificate, birth certificate etc. by which eligibility may be reasonably
              ascertained.

10. How many copies of application have to be submitted?

Application has to be submitted in duplicate for each applicant.

11. Whether applicant(s) have to go in person to submit the
              application (s)?

No. Application(s) can be sent by post either by Speed post or
              Registered post only and not through Courier.

12. Whether the applicant (s) have to take oath before the Counsel of
              the Indian Mission/Post?

No. Earlier provision in this regard has been done away with.

13. Where to submit the application?

To the Indian Mission/ Post of the country of citizenship of the
              applicant. If the applicant is not in the country of citizenship, to the Indian
              Mission/Post of the country where he is ordinarily residing. If the applicant
              is in India, to the FRRO Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkota or Amritsar or to FRRO,
              Chennai or to the Under Secretary, OCI Cell, Citizenship section, Foreigners
              Division, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Jaisalmer House, 26, Mansingh
              Road, New Delhi-110011.

14. Can a person apply in the country where he is ordinarily
              residing?

Yes.

15. What are the consequences of furnishing wrong information or
              suppressing material information?

All the applications will be subject to pre or post enquiry depending
              on whether any adverse information is voluntarily reported in the application
              or not. If the Government comes to the know that any false information was
              furnished or material information was suppressed, the registration as OCI
              already granted shall be cancelled by an order under section 7D of the
              Citizenship Act, 1955. The persons will also be blacklisted thereby banning
              his/her entry into India.

16. What is the fee for application for registration as an OCI?

US $ 275 or equivalent in local currency for each applicant. In case
              of PIO card holder, US $ 25 or equivalent in local currency for each
              applicant. In case of application filled in India, fee Rs.14,230/- for general
              category and for PIO card holders Rs.1,290/- to be paid by way of Demand
              Draft.

17. What is the time taken for registration as OCI?

Within 30 days of the application, if there is no adverse information
              available against the applicant. If any adverse information is available
              against the applicant, the decision to grant or otherwise is taken within 120
              days.
              18. If the registration as an OCI is not granted, what amount will be
              refunded?

An amount of US $ 250 or equivalent in local currency shall be
              refunded, if registration is refused. US $ 25 is the processing fees, which is
              non-refundable. In case application filled in India, Rs.1,290/- will be nonrefundable
              being processing fees.

19. Can a PIO Cardholder apply?

Yes, provided he/she is otherwise eligible for grant of OCI like any
              other applicant.

20. Will the PIO Cardholder be granted an OCI registration gratis?

No. He/she has to make a payment of US $ 25 or equivalent in local
              currency along with the application & Rs.1,290/- in case of application is
              filled in India.

21. Will the PIO card be honored till the time it is valid even after
              acquisition of an OCI?

No. PIO card will have to be surrendered to the Indian
              Mission/Post/MHA for grant of OCI registration certificate and an OCI ‘U’
              visa sticker.

22. What will be issued after registration as an OCI?

A registration certificate in the form of a booklet will be issued and a
              multiple entry, multi-purpose OCI ‘U’ visa sticker will be pasted on the
              foreign passport of the applicant. For this purpose, the applicant has to send
              the original passport to the Indian Mission/Post after receipt of the
              acceptance letter/ verifying the status of the application online.

23. Will a separate OCI passport be issued?

No.

24. Will a duplicate certificate of registration as an OCI will be
              issued?

Yes. For this purpose, an application has to be made to the Indian
              Mission/Post with evidence for loss of certificate. In the case of
              mutilated/damaged certificate an application has to be made enclosing the
              same. The applications in both the cases have to be made to the same Indian
              Mission/ Post which issued the certificate along with payment of a fee of US
              $ 25 or equivalent in local currency & Rs.1,290/- in case of application is
              filled in India.

25. Will a new OCI visa sticker be pasted on the new foreign passport
              after the expiry of the old passport?

Yes. On payment of requisite fee, a new OCI ‘U’ visa sticker will be
              issued. However, the applicant can continue to carry the old passport
              wherein the OCI ‘U’ visa sticker was pasted along with new passport for
              visiting India without seeking a new visa, as the visa is lifelong.

26. Will the applicant lose his citizenship after registering as an OCI?

No. As only citizen of the country which allows dual citizenship
              under the local laws in some form or the other are eligible for applying for
              registration as an OCI, losing foreign citizenship does not arise.

27. Can a person registered as an OCI travel to protected
              area/restricted area without permission?

No. He/she will be required to seek PAP/RAP for such visits.

28. Would the Indian civil/criminal laws be applicable to persons
              registered as OCI?

Yes, for the period OCI is living in India.

29. Can a person registered as an OCI be granted Indian citizenship?

Yes. As per the provisions of section 5(1) (g) of the Citizenship Act,
              1955, a person who is registered as an OCI for 5 years and is residing in
              India for 1 year out of the above 5 years, is eligible to apply for Indian
              Citizenship.

30. Will an OCI be granted gratis to certain categories of people?

No.

31. Can OCI be granted to foreign nationals who are not eligible for
              OCI, but married to persons who are eligible for OCI?

No.

32. Will foreign-born children of PIOs be eligible to become an OCI?

Yes, provided one of the parents is eligible to become an OCI.

33. What are the benefits of an OCI?

Following benefits will be allowed to an OCI:
              (a) Multi-purpose, multiple entry, lifelong visa for visiting India.
              (b) Exemption from registration with local police authority for any
              length of stay in India.
              (c) Parity with NRIs in respect of economic, financial and
              education fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of
              agricultural/plantation properties.

34. Will any other benefit be granted to an OCI?

Any other benefits to an OCI will be notified by the Ministry of
              Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) under Section 7B(1) of the
              Citizenship Act, 1955.

35. Is the OCI entitled to voting rights?

No.

36. Is the OCI entitled to hold constitutional post in India?

No.

37. Is the OCI entitled to hold Government posts in India?

No, except for the posts specified by an order by the Central
              Government.

38. If a person is already holding more than one nationality, can
              he/she apply for OCI?

Yes, as long as the local laws of at least one of the countries allow
              dual citizenship in some form or the other.

39. What are the advantages of the OCI when compared to PIO
              cardholders ?

(i) An OCI is entitled to life long visa with free travel to India
              whereas for a PIO card holder, it is only valid for 15 years.
              (ii) A PIO cardholder is required to register with local Police
              authority for any stay exceeding 180 days in India on any single
              visit whereas an OCI is exempted from registration with Police
              authority for any length of stay in India.
              (iii) An OCI gets a specific right to become an Indian Citizen as in
              29 ,whereas the PIO card holder does not have this.

40. Whether an OCI be entitled to apply for and obtain a normal
              Indian passport which is given to a citizen of India?

No. Indian Passports are given only to Indian citizen.

41. Whether nationals of Commonwealth countries are eligible for the
              OCI?

Yes, if they fulfill the eligibility criteria.

42. Can a person renounce OCI?

Yes. He/she has to declare intention of renunciation in Form XXII to
              the Indian Mission/Post where OCI registration was granted. After receipt
              of the declaration, the Indian Mission/Post shall issue an acknowledgement
              in Form XXII A.

43. Do the applicants who have applied on the earlier prescribed
              application form have to apply again in the new form?

No. All such applications will be considered for registration as an OCI
              without seeking fresh applications and fees.

Comment

OCI queries please help?!

Hi all,

I applied for OCI for my daughter in Chennai FRRO (May 25th) and my application was returned for apostle of birth certificate and was asked to appear in person to provide originals.

I have few questions please suggest

Its been more than 30 days my application was returned, only now I got the apostle, should I create a new application and take it to the FRRO?

Do we need original passport of both the parents, because my husband is in US, how can I proceed?

Do I have to make an appointment before I go there?

My daughters Visa gets over in September (E Visa) is there a way I could extend it?

Please suggest. Really need help, I couldn't contact anyone regarding this.

Comment

Originally posted by HariniRamkumar View Post
                  Hi all,

I applied for OCI for my daughter in Chennai FRRO (May 25th) and my application was returned for apostle of birth certificate and was asked to appear in person to provide originals.

I have few questions please suggest

Its been more than 30 days my application was returned, only now I got the apostle, should I create a new application and take it to the FRRO?

Do we need original passport of both the parents, because my husband is in US, how can I proceed?

Do I have to make an appointment before I go there?

My daughters Visa gets over in September (E Visa) is there a way I could extend it?

Please suggest. Really need help, I couldn't contact anyone regarding this.

I am in a similar situation currently and am not sure I can get an apostle for my kid's birth certificate soon. Can u share your experience after the application was returned?

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Vikas,

Hope you are fine.

I am in a very similar situation except that my son was born in the UK. Please can you let me know how you got on with the OCI application for your child?

My son has been granted British citizenship and I am applying for his passport soon. Do we need to apply for an Indian visa for him until we get the OCI?

Thanks,
                    Pavan

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X