PIO card validity after June 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO card validity after June 2017

I'm a US citizen and I got my PIO card in 2010 and is valid until 2025. I also have a valid US passport. I'm planning on traveling to India in July 2017, will this PIO card be valid for the travel. I'm hearing that after June 2017 PIO cards will not be accepted and only OCI will be accepted.

Also, how long does PIO to OCI application processing take in SanFrancisco ?

Thanks in advance
    Omprakaash

Originally posted by aftergcquestions View Post
    I'm a US citizen and I got my PIO card in 2010 and is valid until 2025. I also have a valid US passport. I'm planning on traveling to India in July 2017, will this PIO card be valid for the travel. I'm hearing that after June 2017 PIO cards will not be accepted and only OCI will be accepted.

Also, how long does PIO to OCI application processing take in SanFrancisco ?

Thanks in advance
    Omprakaash
    no worry, PIO card is valid for lifetime. in lieu of PIO card is the option for you to OCI for granted, not mandatory. since is granted, why not apply as an advantage? you will not submit the PIO card and passport during the process anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by proonindiandoc View Post
      no worry, PIO card is valid for lifetime. in lieu of PIO card is the option for you to OCI for granted, not mandatory. since is granted, why not apply as an advantage? you will not submit the PIO card and passport during the process anyway.
      Yes, my understanding is also that the PIO cards issued before Jan 2015 are valid lifelong, CKGS however confuses people by saying that past June 2017 PIO cards may not be accepted and we need to check with Indian Immigration Bureau which I don't know how to reach. In any case, I'm anyway applying for the OCI in lieu of PIO - as you said, it doesn't require the original passport and PIO card to be sent. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X