Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible options to take the baby back to India?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible options to take the baby back to India?

I am on L1 visa and expecting a baby on 17 Sep, 2018. I may have to relocate to India on or before visa expires on 11 Dec, 2018.

As far as I heard, I would be able to obtain the birth certificate on or after 7 Oct, 2018(3 weeks from DOB) and can apply US passport based on the birth certificate which would take another ~3weeks, hopefully around 28 Oct, 2018.

It is mentioned that I may have to apply for the OCI(Overseas Citizenship of India) prior 2months before the travel(around 11 Dec, 2018) which requires US Passport.

In my case, I would be having little over a month before travelling back to India.

How do I handle this? What are the possible options I have?

Originally posted by Kavija View Post
    I am on L1 visa and expecting a baby on 17 Sep, 2018. I may have to relocate to India on or before visa expires on 11 Dec, 2018.

As far as I heard, I would be able to obtain the birth certificate on or after 7 Oct, 2018(3 weeks from DOB) and can apply US passport based on the birth certificate which would take another ~3weeks, hopefully around 28 Oct, 2018.

It is mentioned that I may have to apply for the OCI(Overseas Citizenship of India) prior 2months before the travel(around 11 Dec, 2018) which requires US Passport.

In my case, I would be having little over a month before travelling back to India.

How do I handle this? What are the possible options I have?
    You can apply for an Indian Visa inlieu of OCI ; which you can get it faster.

Comment

If you guys don't plan to come back to the US in the future, another option would be to not get the child a US passport, and get the child an Indian passport to travel to India. The child will remain a dual citizen of the US and Indian until age 18.5 unless they get a US passport sooner.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Get it over sooner, than later

IMO, get necessary documents now than later.

Get your kid's US passport before you leave. Get an urgent passport. You are short on time for passport, there is an option to get it in a week. Search tavel.state.gov. Get a visa if you don't have time. You can apply OCI and other documents in India. You can extend the visa too. Scroll through the forum, there are helpful conversation on how to get those documents.

You can do it!

Comment

or if the child's parents aren't citizens and they travel back to India before the child is born, they won't have to worry about OCI cause the child will be an Indian citizen only instead of a dual citizen, and they can try and apply for the child to get an L2 visa as well.
          This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X