No announcement yet.

Travel with OCI card with no OCI sticker in new passport, old passport damaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel with OCI card with no OCI sticker in new passport, old passport damaged

Hi,

In my US passport I did have an OCI sticker with U visa and also have an OCI booklet. Recently my US passport got slightly damaged in some shipping process for another country visa. Even though OCI sticker page is undamaged and most of the passport is fine but still I need to get a new US passport. This is not considered as renewal, but a new US passport. In this process passport office do not give me back my old damaged passport. Can I travel to India with OCI book without OCI sticker on my new passport? I am 43 years old.

I looked @ https://www.mea.gov.in/oci-related-matters.htm and got conflicting info.

-------------
    Q: Can I travel to India with just my OCI Card, or should I also carry the passport which contains the ?U? Visa (OCI Visa)?
    A:
    Vide circular No. 26011/06/2015-OCI dated 29th January, 2015 of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, all immigration authorities in India will not insist on production of the foreign passport containing the 'U' Visa Sticker in the case of OCI Cardholders while they enter/exit India and the immigration clearance will be granted based on production of just the OCI card, accompanied by a valid passport (which may not have the U visa sticker).
    =====================
    Q: What are the situations for which re-issue of an existing OCI card is necessary?
    A:
    In case of issuance of new passport:
    For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
    For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. (If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.)
    For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

In case there is a change in personal particulars
    In case of loss/damage of passport and/or OCI booklet
    For correcting personal particulars entered wrongly while submitting online applications e.g. name, father?s name, date of birth, etc.
    In case of change of address/occupation
    ------------------------------

Thanks

Originally posted by rgoel View Post
    Hi,

In my US passport I did have an OCI sticker with U visa and also have an OCI booklet. Recently my US passport got slightly damaged in some shipping process for another country visa. Even though OCI sticker page is undamaged and most of the passport is fine but still I need to get a new US passport. This is not considered as renewal, but a new US passport. In this process passport office do not give me back my old damaged passport. Can I travel to India with OCI book without OCI sticker on my new passport? I am 43 years old.

I looked @ https://www.mea.gov.in/oci-related-matters.htm and got conflicting info.

-------------
    Q: Can I travel to India with just my OCI Card, or should I also carry the passport which contains the ?U? Visa (OCI Visa)?
    A:
    Vide circular No. 26011/06/2015-OCI dated 29th January, 2015 of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, all immigration authorities in India will not insist on production of the foreign passport containing the 'U' Visa Sticker in the case of OCI Cardholders while they enter/exit India and the immigration clearance will be granted based on production of just the OCI card, accompanied by a valid passport (which may not have the U visa sticker).
    =====================
    Q: What are the situations for which re-issue of an existing OCI card is necessary?
    A:
    In case of issuance of new passport:
    For an applicant who is 20 years of age or younger, OCI documents must be re-issued each time a new passport is issued.
    For an applicant who is 50 years of age or older, OCI documents must be re-issued once after the issuance of a new passport. (If the OCI card is issued for the first time after the age of 50 years, then there is no need for re-issuance of OCI.)
    For an applicant who is 21 to 49 years of age, there is no need to re-issue OCI documents each time a new passport is issued. However, if the applicant desires, he/she can request that the OCI documents be re-issued so that the OCI documents reflect the correct passport number.

In case there is a change in personal particulars
    In case of loss/damage of passport and/or OCI booklet
    For correcting personal particulars entered wrongly while submitting online applications e.g. name, father?s name, date of birth, etc.
    In case of change of address/occupation
    ------------------------------

Thanks
    It is strongly advisable to carry the old passport (even if damaged) which has the U visa sticker. Some airlines will not even let you board without the U visa sticker. The US passport agency should have given you the old passport back, if they did not call them or email them with urgent request to return the old passport back. Recently when I renewed my passport I got my old passport as it has visas for many other countries. Without the U visa sticker, your entry may be delayed or at worst denied. You will have to explain why you did not bring the US passport the U visa sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by scs83 View Post
      It is strongly advisable to carry the old passport (even if damaged) which has the U visa sticker. Some airlines will not even let you board without the U visa sticker. The US passport agency should have given you the old passport back, if they did not call them or email them with urgent request to return the old passport back. Recently when I renewed my passport I got my old passport as it has visas for many other countries. Without the U visa sticker, your entry may be delayed or at worst denied. You will have to explain why you did not bring the US passport the U visa sticker.
      If you have your OCI card...you don't need to worry about the U visa stamp sticker...here is the India govt statement:

Government of India has decided to dispense with the "U" Visa sticker on the foreign passport of OCI card holders with immediate effect. ... OCI card holders shall now be given Immigration clearance on the strength of their valid forign passport and OCI Registration Certificate (OCI booklet, popularly known as OCI card).Sep 27, 2018

Just google search U stamp for OCI and you'll see the above statement

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X