Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apostille Copy of US passport in SFO

Hi,

I am applying PIO for my US born kid in SFO through mail.

1. Is it required to send the apostilled copy of the US passport?
    2. Has anybody sent just the normal notarized copy and got PIO ?
    3. What would happen if they want an apostille copy and i send only Notarized copy? Will they refuse the application resulting in loss of $185 or will they put the case on hold?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

JP
    Last edited by JAIPRAK; 05-27-2009, 02:59 PM.

1. I didn't see anything on the CGI-SF website about requiring an apostilled copy of passport. Did I miss something?

2. I used a notarized copy of my US passport to get PIO from the Houston Consulate in November 2008.

3. Not sure, but I would expect that they would just ask for the additional documents and hold your application. Search the site -- I think this has come up before.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. The confusing part comes only in the application PDF. All other places in the website says only Notarized and in the application alone it says Apostille copy. So that is where it keeps me confusing.

If anybody who has applied through SFO can help it would be better. I tried searching the website and i didnt get a definitive answer. May be i am poor in keyword search.

Comment

Totally weird -- the Houston Consulate has a different form mentioning nothing about an apostille requirement.

I searched the site with 'apostille SF' and got some info.

Comment

Thanks 'curtdfw' for your efforts. I already went through those and found that a similar problem was discussed but no result. Let me wait for some more time to find out the answer.

Comment

Apostille is done by the Secreteray of the State and the document should be notarized to get the apostille. You may send the apostilled copy of the passport for PIO processing to be on the safer side. SF consulate usually returns applications if there are any shortfall in the supporting docs submitted and the applicant will have to bear the return mailing (for returning without service) charges

Comment

We contacted Indian Consulate in San Francisco and they responded:

>>>>
              An Apostille is required for US passport. You may check at your county
              office with authentication dept.
              >>>>
              Immihelp Support
              No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks immihelp for the help. I too contacted them. First they said it is not required. Then I said it is like this in the form and differently in the website. Then they said 'yes. Apostille is required'. When i checked with my frnds who have done it three months before, they haven't done that.

I have now just sent the Notarized copy. So let me see what happens.

JP

Comment

You are right. It just mentions in the form but not in the web site.

And Indian Embassy in Washington DC is not asking for Apostilled US passport copy.

I can't understand why only Indian Consulate in San Francisco is asking, even if they need it according to the form? I think this in line with the article http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63312
                  Immihelp Support
                  No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Nobody defined a standard process. So everybody took what they felt as correct. If I get my PIO card, I am sure i will ask them change every place to reflect the same stuff everywhere.

Comment

Got PIO - No Apostilled Copy

I got the PIO card today. Applied it on June 1st. I just submitted notarized copy of passports and not Apostille.

Please feel free to contact me in [email protected] for any questions that anybody has.

Comment

Congrats! And thanks for posting the results...

Comment

As noted in post #11 it appears people are getting PIO without apostille at the SF consulate. The other US consulates don't require it (I got my PIO with a notarized copy of my passport).

Comment

Applied for my newborn son on June 7th. Rec'v the card on June 16th. Very fast processing. Good job SFO Consulate. Here's what we submitted.

- Notarized copy of my son's PP. (1st 3 and last 3 pages. Attested by me and my wife). Notarized only the main page.
                            - Notarized copy of my and wife's PP (1st 3 and last 3 pages). Notarized only the main page.
                            - Two PP size photos. One glued to the form.
                            - An original copy of my son's birth certificate (I had got 3 originals, so used one for this purpose) and two copies. (Not notarized, since original is also provided). Attested by me and my wife.
                            - Notarized copy of my Driver's license.
                            - Money Order - $185 in favor of Consulate General of India, San Francisco.
                            - Self Addressed Overnight trackable envelope.

The thumb impression of my month old son was not that perfect. But it worked. Looks like they are not very strict.

Goodluck everyone!

Comment

PIO card

Thanks Prak, it was very useful.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X