Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI: SFO status

Hi,
    I applied for OCI a while back, my ack date was 8th May and my status on the OCI inquiry shows 13th May dispatched from India ( yet to reach SFO ). Now I get a message asking me to apply for surrender certificate. I was thinking of travelling on the 1st of June which now is not possible. Do you know of a way to atleast get the US passports back from the consulate?
    If I go to the consulate in person would that be possible. I am already assuming it would be tough to expedite the surrender process. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Any help anybody can provide is very valueble.

Thanks
    Kalyan

Indian consulate in SFO specifically states that they can not give the US passports in the middle of the processing.

You will have to apply for surrender certificate. No way to expedite it. Last week, they said it would take 5 business days. Now they are saying 15 business days. More details at /indian-citizenship-renunciation-certificate/
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

After I posted my initial query, I went to the consualate on SFO with the renunciation certificate, money order and copies of the naturaliation certificates. Told them that I do have tickets booked for the beginning of June. The person at the consulate was very helpful. She did not ask many questions as they seem to be aware of this problem. The rule is that you get the renunciation certificate before the OCI now (even if the applications are in process and applied prior to this rule). It was one day processing and I got my passports back the next day in the express mail I provided.

If anybody has more questions let me know. I also got an email reply from the CG asking to wait for govt clarification if we do not want to pay for the renunciation certificates for applications filed under the old rules. Attached is the message from the CG SFO.

I do not agree with the rule, but having said that the consulate was more than helpful in resolving any problems. Be reasonable and do not blame them for things not under their control and I am sure they will try their best.

Dear Mr. Mulam,
      The issue that you have raised has been taken up with the Government of India, but until today we have not received the dispensation that you are seeking. Your choice is to wait for some more time until we hear from them on whether they will be willing to exempt those whose cases are already under process. At this point of time I can only say that you would not get any services unless you get your surrender certificate. Should you choose to wait, please revert back to us after a week or 10 days.
      With warm regards,

Susmita G. Thomas

Consul General

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X